Stupid Unlocking Charges!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tokiopop, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I was curious to know if the 3G was unlockable, so I went to the market (oh I'm oh so cool. :cool:), and went to one of those state of the art phone places, that sell second hand (knocked off) phones and whatnot. I asked them if they unlocked the iPhone 3G, and to my suprise they said yes.
    After I got what I came for, I turned round and began to leave, but I couldn't help ask the price which they charged to unlock the phone. £70. Seventy bloody quid. I was astonished! The man then said 'we need for at least 5 days also. Is very tricky to unlock, see?'
    So, I have to fork out £70, and give my phone away for at least 5 days to a total stranger. Great! :rolleyes:

Anyone else think this is a stupid price? How much do they charge at your local 'Super' phone shop? Is it even possible with the 2.2 firmware!?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It is a scam. the 3g is not unlockable yet. They are trying to take your money *and* your phone.

3. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Why would it take 5 days, if they can at all. :confused:

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Isn't there a hardware unlock for the 3G? Just get that SIM card deally that does it.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I wouldn't believe them, unless they can show you an unlocked iphone 3g that they did.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

There is and i am using one, but that wouldn't make sense with the whole 5 day thing. They should change their story to 5 minutes. Because all they would have to do is put in the sim proxy card thing.

7. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I thought hardware unlocks aren't compatable with 2.2?

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

As far as I have seen no. I don't know of any cards that will work. All of those exploits have seem to be closed in the new baseband update with 2.2

9. bradenwh macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G

The iPhone 3G can be hardware unlocked. There's already been a story of someone doing it. It does take a long time.

You have to open the phone.
    Take out the baseband chip.
    Extract the baseband data.
    Patch the data to allow other SIM cards.
    Put the chip back in.
    Put it together.

So, it's very plausible that it does take 5 days.
    And it's also very possible it was a scam. I guess you won't know until 5 days from now.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Yes, the iPhone can be hardware unlocked. In Portugal we can get Vodafone (one of the carriers that has the iPhone) to hardware unlock the iPhone, but also for a stupid price. But it is legit.

11. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I didn't actually give them my phone. :D

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That's carrier unlock, which is supported by Apple. Topic of discussion here is 3rd party unlock not support by Apple.

13. leez macrumors regular

leez

5 days ? Do they backup yours, buy unlocked one on eBay, restore your backup to the unlocked one and give it back to youn keeping yours ? :)) £70 profit anyway, 2 sides happy hehe.

14. ex8886 macrumors member

That wouldn't surprise me!

But there was an article on cnet about a guy in vietnam doing a hardware unlock by removing the baseband, but it supposedly only takes a couple hours. Are you guys getting the "autoiphoneulocker" ad on the bottom of the page?

15. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

iPhone Hardware Unlock.

Here is the article on the Vietnamese shop that performs hardware unlocks in the manner described by bradenwh and ex8886. :D

16. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Phones gone cant unlock 2.1 yet so sorry try finding him or tell police. Also in the future do it yourself it isn't hard mainly just clicking next!:apple:

17. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Are you guys getting the "autoiphoneulocker" ad on the bottom of the page?[/quote]

:DNope I got adblocker plus!:D

18. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Umm,

Umm, I do believe he is talking about the iPhone 3G, and cannot unlock the 3G with the method you mentioned. Please pay attention.

19. firewood macrumors 604

The hardware unlock they do in Vietnam seems to require unsoldering the baseband chip from the iPhone's main circuit board, most likely in order to get access to the chips JTAG test/debug port. Not a simple task.

20. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I might go back and ask how, exactly, they unlock the phone. :D