Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm currently running 10.4.4 on my iMac, but I just recently bought Shake 4.1, and it says I need 10.4.6 or newer. So if I upgrade will I lose all my data like pictures, video, etc.?

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
10.4.4 to 10.4.8 (or 6) does not require re-installing your OS. If you run software update, it will automatically find, download, and upgrade your OS. The only way you would loose all your stuff is if something goes wrong when doing the upgrade. I think for some upgrades, Apple recommends backing your documents up.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
you should always have a backup when making changes to your system. i've never had anything bad happen nor have i heard of anything bad happen to anyone i know personally (there are always a few stories you can find online).

if everything runs how it should run, you shouldn't lose anything.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Alright, well the thing is I use it for my editing computer so I don't have it plugged into the internet. So I can just go to Apple.com and look for the update? And download it to my PC, and transfer it to my iMac?

Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.