Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Short form: How do you turn on the bloody "Select Your Operating System" screen in Windows if you can't get Windows to boot?! Please tell me I'm an idiot and this is really easy...

Long form: I manage a Mac/Win combo network for a small business, and they are running a Win2K3 Server box. Being Windows, of course, it decided to up and start refusing to log in for no readily apparent reason this morning.

The standard steps to take to fix this are to boot into Last Known Good, the Safe Mode, etc.

Unfortunately, all of the above require that pre-loading Select Your Operating System screen... which I didn't realize until now is turned off. I know how to turn it on from within Windows, but what on God's good earth am I supposed to do if I can't get Windows to finish starting up in the first place? As if that weren't bad enough, Dell apparently doesn't ship a proper install disc, so I can't even boot from the installer to do troubleshooing--I'd apparently have to wipe the whole drive and reinstall.

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
keep tapping the F8 key once you turn on the power.

only a few more months until I switch over.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Thanks tremendously for the tip.

I'd actually tried that once and just got a "stuck key" error, but I suppose my timing must've been off. I'll give it another shot and hopefully it'll work this time.

Also, Alone2Gether: We'll be waitin' for you, and you can't get out of that hole a day too soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.