Sturdy Desk for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sklent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Sklent macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just got a :apple:Mac Pro and now it's time to get a new desk for it! As I saw in some other threads, it probably weighs 55 to 60 lbs, and I want to make sure that I get a desk that can support the weight (plus monitor, speakers, MBP, etc). I figure it would be good to have a desk with a capacity of at least 100lbs, just to be safe.

I'm wondering if Apple recommends certain kinds of desks? Or are there any particular brands/models that I should consider? I'm in Toronto, Canada, so I may be somewhat limited in what's available here.

Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much indeed,

Sklent

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

you could always relegate it to the floor... not as dignified a position, but it solves the issue of weight quite easily.

if you're in Toronto, you have access to many office suppliers. I'm sure if you wanted to spend a lot of money you could even find someone to custom design you one.... I can do that here and I'm in the 'backwoods sticks' of alberta (Calgary)

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

How about the galant from ikea?? You can customize it however you want, actually I can make this desk a bit longer on each side by adding another part at the end on both ends! :eek::eek:

You can also get it the reverse way of the desk as well mine is the "right" i believe you can also get a "left" if you choose.

[​IMG]

I freakin LOOVE this desk, ***** load of room and when I get the Mac Pro I can just put it on top somewhere against one of the walls either on the left or right side or even tuck it behind the 24" LED ACD and move it down more closer towards me. :p

4. Bob70011 macrumors newbie

Bob70011

5. thelongmorrow macrumors member

but if you had floors of straw, then you would need to worry more about the weight of the desk than the mp ;););):D

6. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

As mentioned above, put it away under the desk, it doesn't have to be a Trophy/Show Piece...

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

8. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I like having mine on the floor right next to my desk, although I'm thinking about building a tray with rollers to make it easier to pull out for cable adjustments / cleaning. With a dog often in the office, dust and hair is a bit of a problem.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is what my setup looks like now after I sold the 15" mbp off and with a mini.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Lol me configuring a mac pro nehalem.

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I agree with the others. Pick a desk you like and put the Mac Pro on the floor. It's easier to reach the optical drive(s) down there, anyway.

11. MadisonTate macrumors member

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think you should get a nice huge desk and set the Mac Pro on top. I just love a nice big desk setup with the mac pro nice and clean on top away from all the dust buildup.

Also if you want to take the side panel off to use the air can to clean inside you can just take it off easily without having to squat down and moving it around as well.

Not to mention aesthetically it looks nice, might as well display it next to the cinema display. :D

13. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Hahaha, you maniac :D

14. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I wouldn't put it on the desk anyway. yeah, it looks really nice, but its huge no matter what way you look at it.

15. greenchester macrumors newbie

I am going to have to put mine on the desk too. The LED 24" Cinema display port cord is too short! It is maybe 2.5- 3 feet at most. :confused: Wish Apple made an extension for it. :(

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd pick something from IKEA, it's simplistic and stylish and matches the Apple products.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Lol, I agree. I really feel like this Galant desk was truly made to hold a mac Pro. Even when my brother came over to see my new desk he was in awe saying, "hey isnt that the same desk they have setup at the Apple Store??" I told him that it wasnt but its so roomy I love it! Its so big I can actually hold 5 mac pros if I wanted to.

I just love rolling my chair around back and forth around the desk. Feels kind of like a real workstation environment .

Some of you guys just dont know how BIG this desk is. The picture does no justice at all!! Basically take a look at the size of my 24" LED ACD, just imagine that 24" LED ACD being the Mac Pro (its pretty much about the same size just a little bit smaller than a mac pro, but of course the mac pro being much heavier).

18. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Wow, I didn't know IKEA had opened stores outside of Europe.
    Good choice.
    :)

19. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

> I freakin LOOVE this desk, ***** load of room and when I get the Mac Pro I can just put it on top somewhere against one of the walls either on the left or right side or even tuck it behind the 24" LED ACD and move it down more closer towards me.

Here here.

The ikea desk pictured above is a "Galant" desk. They come in several shapes and sizes, customizable with different surfaces and legs. The T legs (also pictured above) are also wonderfully stable.

They're not cheap desks, but as far as work surfaces go, they simply rock. Tons of leg space, extremely stable, and reasonably easy to put together and take apart. Been using my setup (spans two walls of my office) for years now, no problems. Tons of room with two Mac Pro's, a 23" Cinema, laptop, and various other junk. Loads of leg room too.

-SC

20. grue macrumors 65816

I simply do not understand why anyone would choose to put their tower on the desk.

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

That sig line is gold!

22. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Whatever you do, don't go cheap on a Mac Pro desk.

When my MP arrived, originally I had her sitting on the floor until I finally found a cheapy desk in the garage that I got from Office Max a few years back.

So the Mac Pro sits on this "off-the-floor" thing on the desk, which really weighs it down, and even when I'm just typing, the entire desk shakes. If I'm tapping my foot to some music, the entire desk wobbles.

So bottom line: Don't go cheap. Get something very sturdy and very rigid. ;)

23. grue macrumors 65816

I aim to please ;)

I figured since most of the time I'm on here I'm generally complaining about something, I might as well make a bit of fun out of it

24. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

This ^

25. sedril macrumors member

When you have small children that just love to push buttons and mess with things... The only place for a MP is on a desk....