Sturmovik 1946 (and FS2004) on MacBook (not Pro)?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by golfbravopi, Apr 17, 2011.

1. golfbravopi macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a PC or Boot Camp my wife's MacBook, since my current PC is dying. My only uncertainty is whether I will still be able to run my flight simulators--Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 and FS2004--on her computer at high graphics qualities. She has a MacBook 5,2 with 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and (my biggest concern) the integrated GeForce 9400M graphics chip.

Does anyone have experience with either of these sims on this platform? Much appreciate any information.

2. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

I run 1946 on a first gen intel iMac 1.83 ghz CD at full tilt. I have a 128 mb video card, dedicated of course. I think it should run ok on yours, 1946 is based on a gaming engine made in 2001, it's old but was a beast at the time.

1946 is pretty cpu intensive, but you got that covered by a long shot, I'd guess the 9400m would be fine with the 2 gigs of ram. I use to run it with 512mb with no hiccups. Word of advice, I was on one of the teams that did a lot of modding for the sim and eventually it started to slow things down for me, so make sure you have a couple of installs if you really want to tinker with it. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

I came to know a few guys that flew using Macs and it was satisfying being able to say we used such low specs(as far as gaming goes) and ran the game better than people with gaming pc's. It just works, even in windows;)

P.S. if you use win 7 turn aero off, it really helps with graphics. 1c forums or simhq have some bootcamper experiences. Can't help ya with FS2004, but my guess is I'd be bad on high detail. IL-2 Cliffs of dover is out, you should try youtubing it. Once the new iMac comes out hopefully I'll be able to run it using that rig.

3. golfbravopi thread starter macrumors newbie

4. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide