Stuttering Flash Video (i.e. YouTube) on an iMac G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kboone6783, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kboone6783 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to make an old iMac G5 (17" 1.8ghz non-iSight model) of mine useful again and am giving it to my mother, but after adding another 1gb stick of memory (making it 1.5gb total), putting in a new 7200rpm 500gb HDD and upgrading it to 10.5, I'm experiencing stuttering youtube in Safari and general sluggishness.

Could it be possible that Leopard, although supporting PPC is slowing it down? Maybe, then, downgrading to Tiger again might fix things.

Mostly, I'm confused at why it would be struggling to play YouTube clips in Safari (and in the newest build of Webkit, even).

Any advice would be really helpful!!

2. ifilm4life81321 macrumors newbie

Reisntall

I had this same problem. I decided to erase and re-install the operating system and then restore it from my Time Machine backup. If you don't want any of the files, just do the erase and install.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

4. kboone6783 thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke to a guy at the Apple Store yesterday who said that Leopard, while able to work on PPC, will make the system slower than with Tiger.

My mother won't need or notice the new bells and whistles in Leopard, so I'm gonna try downgrading and testing out the performance today.

Thanks for the Click to Flash recommendation, sounds like a good idea too.

5. kboone6783 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: Reverted back to Tiger on the iMac G5 and it made performance much much better!

Apparently Leopard, although functional, is too much for the PPC processor. Tiger makes things snappy again.