Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Doesn't matter if I'm just moving my cursor or if I'm moving a window around or scrolling through a web page there's this fairly frequent stutter that happens. I attached a video that shows what's going on. I'm using a Logitech mx3 mouse. I do have a banker hub attached but I removed it and still have stuttering. my OS is completely updated. Dell monitor connected by hdmi.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It's almost certainly the mouse, especially if you're connected via Bluetooth. Logitech's bluetooth implementation is janky on macOS for whatever reason.
Either connect with the RF dongle or use a different mouse.

I have a Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/m...MWR/C49W?activetab=pivot:overviewtab&atc=true and while not in the same class of desktop mice like the Logitech MX, it's 10x smoother than Logitech's over Bluetooth.

Reactions: marklight

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
I have the same mouse and I have zero issues running it over the dongle. I have my MX Master 3 and MX Keys both connected to the same Logitech dongle and I've never had an issue with either. Use the dongle if possible.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
It's almost certainly the mouse, especially if you're connected via Bluetooth. Logitech's bluetooth implementation is janky on macOS for whatever reason.
Either connect with the RF dongle or use a different mouse.

I have a Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-modern-mobile-mouse/8VCZ2SGC3MWR/C49W?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab&atc=true and while not in the same class of desktop mice like the Logitech MX, it's 10x smoother than Logitech's over Bluetooth.
I'm using the Logitech MX Mouse with the dongle on an M1 MacMini. I haven't even tried BlueTooth with it due to so many reports of issues.

minne192

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2021
I have the same issue, it’s the mouse. BT is practically unusable, I suggest using the unifying usb.

S_Antas

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2021
Portugal
Well, I do own and use a MX Master 3 (not the Mac version) through BT with no issues at all, although I did not install the Logi app... MBP 16/256.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
I have the same issue with the same mouse in bluetooth mode. I hope they work this out soon, I'm not a fan of dongles when bluetooth exists.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I have the same mouse and I have zero issues running it over the dongle. I have my MX Master 3 and MX Keys both connected to the same Logitech dongle and I've never had an issue with either. Use the dongle if possible.
I don’t think I got a dongle with my mouse

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
You can buy the wireless dongle on Amazon for around $12 I believe. They are so extremely easy to lose, I had to buy another at one point.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
You can buy the wireless dongle on Amazon for around $12 I believe. They are so extremely easy to lose, I had to buy another at one point.
When you plug the dongle in, how do you know if the mouse is connecting to the dongle vs the built in bluetooth?

nm. I actually had one of these dongles from an old mx master (first gen) and it works just fine with the mx3. thanks!

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
When you plug the dongle in, how do you know if the mouse is connecting to the dongle vs the built in bluetooth?
If the mouse isn't paired via bluetooth, then it's obviously connected thru the dongle. Easiest way would be to delete the mouse from BT. You may, however, need to install the Logitech software to get the mouse to pair to the dongle unless you use the one that came in the same package as the mouse.

sharpis

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I had the same mouse stuttering (jerky) problem using bluetooth.
I tried the Unifying dongle instead and my problems disappeared, but eventually that also caused problems.
Note: My Computer is about 2.8m away from the mouse & keyboard, not that it should cause any problems.

My Computer: Apple Mac mini M1(Apple Silicon) 8GB 512GB
Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3
Note: My Apple bluetooth Magic Keyboard ver1 - Turning keyboard Off/On temporarily corrected the mouse stuttering every time.
I went through all the troubleshooting fixes with Logitech Support and the last option "Reinstall MacOS" was the fix.

Solution:
Reinstall MacOS
without loosing any of your files or data (** see below).
After about less than an hour I was up and running again, with no files or data loss.
For a over a Month now, my mouse stuttering has stopped and it's nice and smooth when previously it happened a few times a day.

BTW FYI Resetting a Mac mini M1 computer is different now (Non-Intel),
Turn off the computer, and then press and hold the power button. When the Apple logo first appears, you'll see text just below it letting you know to continue holding it in to access startup options. Keep pressing the button for about 5 seconds until the text switches to "Loading startup options." Next, click Options > Continue.

Select a user with administrator privileges and enter the account password when asked.

The new recovery tool gives you a few options​

After signing into a user account, you'll see a partial list of recovery options.

*Restore from Time Machine: Use this option if you want to restore your Mac from a previous Time Machine backup. This is helpful if you've lost a bunch of files, changed settings, or installed an app that's caused severe issues with your Mac.

**Reinstall MacOS: If you're having issues with MacOS, you can try this option to reinstall the latest version of MacOS without deleting any of your files or losing any data.

***Safari: You can use Apple's browser to search and troubleshoot how to fix your Mac.

****Disk Utility: The tool you'll use to repair, troubleshoot or erase your hard drive.

They above information was copied from CNET: https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-...e-latest-m1-macs-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Apple probably have the same procedure somewhere.

Hope this helps someone.
Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.