Stuttering sound XP Penryn MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanlindsay, Mar 24, 2008.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

I have the base Penryn MBP and experiencing stuttering audio in Windows XP...kind of like playing a scratched CD. Happens in games, mp3s and website/videos. Anyone had or heard of similar problems? I've seen one or two posts from people experiencing similar this on older MPBs and they solved it with new wireless drivers but the Penryns have a new wireless chipset (broadcom) and I'm having trouble finding newer drivers than the ones that came with bootcamp. Might call apple tomorrow see if they know anything about it. Cheers.

2. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

Still having this problem despite XP SP3 and bootcamp 2.1. Anyone made progress here?

3. kashik macrumors regular

I've run into this problem as well. At first I thought it was some conflict with the game I was playing as I only noticed it in game. Then one day I was shutting down in XP and the shutdown sound did the exact same stutter.

Would love to get some help with this as well.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i thought it was the speakers for me. just a set of logitech 2.1 x230 here.

it was like a ticking noise , yes?

it has since done it in OSX, only once, but once none the less.

5. donmei macrumors regular

first thing you need to figure out is if the stuttering is caused by download speed or the actual computer.

Download a video to your hard drive. Play it. Does it stutter? If not, the problem is your connection speed. A lot has been written about wireless issues with leopard.

If is is your connection speed, next plug in your MBP to your router via an ethernet cable. Play an online vid. Doe sit stutter?

If it still stutters and it did not stutter on hard drive based content, then it is your router/internet connection.

If it does not stutter wired, then the problem is your wireless connection. and thers not much you can do about that. (see myriad of posts about this)

If it stutters even with hd based content, then you have some issue on your machine. check your cpu utilization during playback. check the cpu utilization when nothing is playing. Is there a rogue process? Have you rebooted?

maybe you have been infected by malware of some kind. (remember a mac is as vulnerable as anything to socially engineered trojan)

Hope this helps.

Don

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

The OP says it happens in MP3s, which are on the machine, not streamed...?

or did i miss something?

My problem has nothing to do with any network connection.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's stuttering because the integrated sound card isn't very good, so when it's playing higher bit rate audio, the bus connection is choking causing this stuttering; I figured this out because I used to have USB 1.1 soundcard and when I played HD movies, the sound would stutter; by getting a USB 2.0 soundcard the stuttering went away.

8. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replies folks

There is absolutely no issue in OSX or Linux leading me to believe the problem lies with the windows drivers. I think it might be something to do with the wireless divers as disabling them improves the sound performance. Perhaps a reinstall of XP would fix the problem...I just don't want to have to re-download all those steam games.

9. kashik macrumors regular

Keep us updated on what you try.

Unfortunately my backlight just died so I can't try any methods at the moment.

10. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I have this problem on XP too. I've noticed that it doesn't happen when the wireless connection is disabled. Unfortunately, when this happens and you try to disable the wireless connection, your computer will lock up big time.

11. David G. macrumors 6502a

I know a MacBook is not equivalent to a MacBook Pro but this happens to me too, especially the XP login sound. It will start playing, stop for 5 sec. and then finish up. Hmm.

12. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

It never does it for me when its booting up, but rather after it has been on for a while, and the wireless has been on for a while. Then its a pretty consistant, once every minute sort of stuttering. I watched it with Core temperature, and the load on the cores increase by about 20% when it happens, and then go back down when it stops, to normal levels.

13. Garywoo macrumors newbie

Garywoo

This is PRECICELY what happens to mine, I've also started having problems where the wifi will randomly disconnect and not show up again for a few mins in xp's wireless manager. The only way i have found to stop the stuttering for a while is to restart the computer, after a restart i never stutters ntill i put it so sleep a few times. the stuttering does not happen constantly, it's on and off at intervals.

14. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

yeah same sometimes when I boot in it won't do it at all, and other times it does it. I haven't really had much problems with wifi disconnecting, but I've had wifi on XP disabled for a while now because of this problem, and I haven't been affected since

15. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

Try updating the HD Audio Codec driver from Realtek.

http://www.realtek.com.tw

They update it often, so check back every couple of weeks.

16. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

i'm pretty certain its the wireless drivers but thanks anyway

17. wesrk macrumors 6502a

18. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

stuttering audio

My audio only stutters with my external soundcards (presonus firepod and firestudio project) plugged in. It didn't stutter on tiger, but on leopard it does. I'm having stuttering if one soundcard is plugged in, or if the other. It also stutters when linked to each other.
    But from time to time the stuttering goes away but after a couple minutes it is back. In logic pro, I get a constant message that " midi could not be sinc'd with audio". The crackle goes away if I reset the sample rate, but it still comes back.
    I hope there will be a fix soon for this. I didn't pay a thousand dollars for crackled audio. There is nothing wrong with the recording, but the computer plays it crackled. Playing the recording from the internal soundcard is crackless...

19. alexworden macrumors newbie

It is the wireless drivers - but are there any updates available

I'm 100% certain that the audio glitches are caused by the wireless network drivers. You can check this by running this free utility: http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

If you disable the wireless network card, the problems go away. This is what I do to use the MPB as an audio workstation. That's no good if you're trying to use the thing for internet applications though. This sucks. I've tried searching Broadcom's site for the latest drivers but their site is really bad. It's not designed for consumers I guess. They don't appear to offer wireless driver updates. The standard windows automatic update can't find a better driver than the one installed.

The XP / Windows drivers on a MBP are the worst of any laptop on the market. I don't know why apple don't care about this. They would still be selling hardware with bundled OSX even if people wanted to run XP on their MBPs. Apple are so damn arrogant. I'm very tempted to switch back to a PC. If only I could find one with a back-lit keyboard!

Oh... and where the hell is tap-to-click! Can't believe bootcamp still doesn't have that!

Grrrrrr...

20. Garywoo macrumors newbie

Garywoo

21. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

22. John89 macrumors regular

I had this problem with Windows 7 on my Penryn MBP. It seemed to sort itself out when Windows Update installed 'updated' drivers for my computer.