Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2001
i like having the ability to set the display any which way i want with, as steve overly noted, "a touch of a button."

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
I'm glad its not just a bloated flat panel.

I think the CD drive that looks like a mouth and the fact that the marketing team made it dance in the promo video are the best. They arent necessarily the coolest styling points, which I personally think the chrome arm kicks ass.

Overall, its best feature is that it has perfect apple design, meaning its not built out of cheesey plastic like the iMac knockoffs from the wintel world will surely be. Its smooth sharp and distinctive, and thankfully not available in a rainbow of lifesavers colors.

(Yea, I know its plastic, just quality plastic.)

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
quality plastic or left over ibook parts?? they made a 14 inch ibook and did not know what to do with all the old small ones left over. so they sold 36,000 of them ot the suckers in maine, then took the rest of the spare parts and made imacs. the last dozen or so will be sold on the apple store for the remainder of the week, which will take 90 days to receive.

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
too bad the iMac couldnt project holograms and make funny jokes about c3po.. then maybe i could like it. r2 was cute and funny. iMac is not cute.. but i guess it is funny!

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Thats what I've been saying! R2D2!...

Star Wars heads will buy the iMac just to own R2...
after episode 2 comes out though, they don't want to have to get out of the movie ticket line just to buy a computer.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
that screen...

the screen is cool.....it rotates 360 degress!!!

plus....it's a 700-800 Mhz G4 w/15" LCD flatscreen, DVD-RW/CD-RW...32 MB VRAM....takes up hardly any space....plenty of bang for the buck!

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
i think steve jobs head rotated 360 degrees when the ipod failed. then it flew back when people chuckled as the iMac waddled its way on stage. its plenty of bang for my buck. i think i can buy a couple shotgun shells for a buck at the fish n game store!

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I think it's wonderful the way the LCD moves. And I love the way Apple really gave it a personality in the ads...

"Hey, have you seen that dancing computer?"

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
My favorite part is the size, a 10" base with a flat panel. I also like the fact that PC makers will have a hard time copying it. Kicking SomeAppleGuy off is too harsh, just banning him from starting new threads would be fine

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I think...

...that it looks wierd. Not bad, but wierd. However, it's more than powerful/cool enough to make up for that.

need new tower............

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Typical reactions. Kick off the guy who thinks different huh? You dont like my ideas you dont have to read them. You can easily skip by my posts. If the administration of this site does allow a user to be kicked off because of CONFLICT than they are worse than the new damn iMac. After all this is macrumors.com. A place or RUMOR, and conflict. You are all calling me close minded and near sided for disagreeing with you. Is this a communist country? If I dont flow with the masses I must be a witch and burned at the stake? Get over it, most of you are too scared to say what I am saying. Its very easy to follow the leader, how do you think Microsoft has continued to grow and grow?

M

Moby 1

I guess I like...

The Sheer Audacity Of It!

I don't think this sprang out of any focus groups.

Hit or flop, who else but Apple would make this?!

(That's not a back-handed compliment. I really to like the Apple way of thinking.)

Hey, if it floops, it'll just be one more thing like;
...remember that "Cube"...and how about the hemi-spheroid iMac....

What do ThinkPad owners have to talk about;
...remember the...um...wait....they all look the same...what was that model number?

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
SomeIdiotGuy

Wow talk about a little boy that didn't get what he wanted for christmas. Now he has to go around trying to bring everyone down to his level. Every try looking at the bright side of the situation? You talk about how Microsoft has grown and grown and yet you were the first to yell "Well this sucks off to XP!" Get a meal. Have a smoke. And go to sleep. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by SomeAppleGuy
Its very easy to follow the leader, how do you think Microsoft has continued to grow and grow?
So basically you're saying that Apple would have far more market share if it wasn't for people like you.

SomeAppleGuy

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
thats exactly what im saying. i dont make sence. neither does the average computer user. scream at me all you want (or flame as you all say) but only time will prove me right. anyway... im done for the day.. im gonna find something else to do now.

P

phaedrus

Sorry, I am posting this message to two different forums as I don't know which one it belongs in. The Time article quotes the new imac's designer saying that the design encourages users to "violate the sacred plane of the monitor." This is perhaps its most intriguing feature. I also noticed in some pics it appears that the monitor is protected by a transparent cover. If this is the case it's a beautiful idea and, along with the swing-arm, certainly encourages the violation of the monitor's "sacred plane." Apple's real gambit with the new imac is the destruction of this "third wall," if you will. I own a 22" cinema display and when I show it to people they invariably reach out to touch it. Horrified, I am none too polite when I bark "don't touch it!" But it's a natural human gesture to point and touch things; its part of the way we interact with information, part of the way we communicate. We interact with print media in a very tactile way; just observe someone with a magazine, for example. Chances are you'll observe them changing the "viewing angle" of the magazine as well touching the face of it. The reason the form of the new imac is not as aesthetically pleasing as some would have liked is a consequence of this gambit. Apple is often criticized for putting form ahead of function. But in this case they have surely put function ahead of form. Jobs said as much--an LCD display (following its function) wants to be flat; drives want to be horizontal, "on the ground" as he put it. There has never been a better statement of Aristotle's theory of forms, though a full discussion of this is not appropriate to this forum. One more thing (from the sublime to the ridiculous). My roomate and I were joking around recently about how it would be nice to have an internet masturbation appliance--like, one with a screen that you could, if you know what I mean, pull in a little closer and then wipe off after your finished. Thanks Apple!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.