Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Where do I get a decent stylus for handwriting ?

I bought a stylus by Targus but it's horrid it has a large softtip and doesnt seem to work well with notability.

Tried a nintendo ds pen which would give the control with the small hard tip ,like a real pen. But it doesn't work with the iPad at all.

Suggestions ?

I just want something that works well with Noteability.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008

I bought a stylus by Targus but it's horrid it has a large softtip and doesnt seem to work well with notability.

Tried a nintendo ds pen which would give the control with the small hard tip ,like a real pen. But it doesn't work with the iPad at all.

Suggestions ?

I just want something that works well with Noteability.

I use a stylus from Bamboo and I use Ghostwriter notes I've also used another great app called noteshelf. If you are having a tough time it can also be the app but I can't say since I haven't used noteability.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Heh, they didn't just put a large soft tip for the hell of it. Its a capacitative touch screen, it requires a fairly large activation area.

The alternatives are things like the Adonit Jot, which use a clear plastic disc to touch the screen so you can see more precisely where you are hitting the screen.

There is also the iPen, which is $90 and requires you to plug in a sensor device into the connection port. It has a normal thin tip but Ive heard it can be a little buggy. Still it might be best for you.

Personally Im waiting for the Adonit Jot Touch right now, which is the same as the above Jot but with pressure sensitivity (if the app supports it) and palm rejection through bluetooth. But thats not really necessary for handwriting. Will also be more expensive of course.

The bamboo stylus thats being mentioned is a soft tip one like the ones you are using, its just a little nicer build. I find the soft tip ones work fine in zoomed in text mode that most note apps have, but thats only really practical for short notes not extensive handwriting since you have to make such large letters.

Last edited:

MelodyMarch03

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I like the Wacol Bamboo so far, I use it with notability. Keep in mind that using the zoom in the app, with the different thicknesses of ink is very helpful.

fortuneteller33

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012

I recently purchased the iPen directly from Cregle's site: cregle.com after reading a review: http://applebitsblog.com/2012/03/18/cregle-ipen-review-digitizer-pen-for-the-ipad/ . I haven't received it yet but anxious as heck to try it! Adonit's Touch looks really good. Thx I didn't know about app advice.com!

MrJoshua-UK

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, I'm guessing that you are in the UK, how much did you pay for shipping to the UK? What was the total cost in £?

Very interested in buying!!!

Thanks, Snapper.

Hi Snapper

$39 all in. Looks good doesn't it!

----------

I can't believe no one has said 'the' quote yet

I think there's a big difference between having to use a stylus to navigate the OS and type, and using a stylus to draw/paint and take handwritten notes.

;)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The problem isn't the stylus. The problem is the software not being made for stylus input.

Ive been wanting to write on the iPad for years but thought it was the screen that was holding us back. But even with the retina screen then handwriting is just not very good. So why is that exactly? If this is supposed to replace paper then why not make it act more like paper? :)

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
The problem isn't the stylus. The problem is the software not being made for stylus input.

Ive been wanting to write on the iPad for years but thought it was the screen that was holding us back. But even with the retina screen then handwriting is just not very good. So why is that exactly? If this is supposed to replace paper then why not make it act more like paper? :)

I use Penultimate all the time for taking notes with a stylus. I ue the pogo stylus which works really well as it doesn't have a rubber tip and so doesnt not stick to the screen, it uses a fibre which works really well

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Wirelessly posted

I actually saw the touch panel grid in the sunlight yesterday. Once u see it, you'll know EXACTLY why u can't use a fine tip pen. I never saw it on my iPad 2, and I had it outside all the time.

Take the iPad out in the sun and look at the screen from different angles. You will see an "invisible" grid under the glass made up of small squares. That's the touch panel grid.

Now I totally understand why those stylus have big fat tips. And once u see it, it'll all be crystal clear.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I have the Wacom Bamboo stylus and I do like it . I am curious as to how long the rubber tip will last, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.