sub $150 headset?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by drater, Feb 6, 2012.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I like over the ear or on ear and my budget is $150. I really can't decide, wondering if anyone can help me out. Thank you in advance.

2. jj48 macrumors regular

These ATH-M50 headphones from Audio Technica are probably the most recommended set of over-the-ears for your budget. I bought myself a pair a couple of months back based on the good reviews and they have really lived up to the hype. The sound quality is top notch (especially after I burned them in) and you will do well to find a better pair for under $200. I use them at home for longer listening sessions and for this they're great. Wouldn't be seen wearing them out and about though!

3. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I've heard great things about the Shure SRH-840. Not the most stylish pair of headphones, but they do sound great. Actually, I am a fan of the industrial and minimalist look. Much better than all those Beats you see on the street nowadays. As with everything that Shure makes, these headphones will last!

4. quixotic, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012

quixotic macrumors regular

Friend just bought a pair... and now so am I. You can find them for about ~$160 shipped.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

What are you priorities? Portability? Bass? Comfort? Soundstage?

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Do you like "open" or "close" style. The close type isolate sound in both directions. But the "open" kind at and equal price give better quality sound.

I think the best open type in your price range are the K240. These are a "standard" on many recording studios and have been for decades. Price is about $100.

Before you can select a brand, decide it they need to be closed. You want those if listening in a noisy environment or if you don't want sound to spill out from the phones. But closed phones are hared to make so for a given price the open kind are best sounding.

The K240 has a flat accurate sound and are used as a reference.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S

7. MikeSantor macrumors regular

$160 is way to much for the ATH50s. You can find them for just over $100 on the net. You can get the ATH700MK2s for $160...

:D

8. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

I am looking for a pair to edit video with, listen to tracks /music, and watch movies. Something that will sound great and remain comfortable for a good 2-3 hours while working.

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Do you mind some sound leakage? If not, open headphones are usually more comfortable and natural feeling for long sessions.

10. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

That link highly recommends the HD280s. Coincidentally, Ive been on the fence with the $200 HD380s... Still not sure the PROS/CONS between the 280s and 380s except that the 380s have a nice carry case.

11. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

First of all, what type of music do you listen to primarily?

I would generally recommend the Sennheiser HD 280, HD25-I/HD25SP. I personally use the HD280s as portables, but I will be getting the HD25-I soon, so that will be what I use then.

If you can up your budget by $50 more, go for the HD25-I. They are considered one of the best portables on the market. If you can't, go for the HD25SP.

Here's a website I trust for more recommendations:

http://www.headfonia.com/portable-headphone-recommendations/

12. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

I primarily listen to Rock, but also a lot of R&B and hip hop. Also classical and some movie soundtracks. My main goal is to use this would-be purchase for editing soundtracks /video, however.

13. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Editing and listening headphones are two completely different things (most of the time). It really depends on you. I found the HD280s to be glorious editing headphones (I mix/compose a lot myself). However, I only liked them for composing soundtracks. A problem (if you wish to call it that) with the HD280s is that they use a long, phone-like cord, which can be a tad annoying to drag around. The good news about them is that they are only $100 right about now. If you plan on grabbing it, get the FiiO E11 with the L9 cable for portable use and it will be "banging".

14. masterofbuckets macrumors regular

I am using the ATH M50 and have been very happy with it. Can't go wrong with them, especially in the sub $150 bracket.

15. a-bob macrumors newbie

a-bob

I've been using these Sonys for about 15 years in a pro audio post environment. Love them.

16. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

What about in ear headphones? Do you guys have any that you recommend?

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

For editing you need dead flat and accurate headphones. If you can stand some spillage in both directions the K240 is the industry standard studio headphone. The HiFi and rock music bunch prefers exaggerated bass and bright highs but if you used those for mixing you end up with dull sounding weak bass in the mix.

Most people find they need more than one pair of headphones

18. PAPO macrumors 6502

I can't recommend K240's specifically but I can not speak highly enough of AKG having owned a pair of K301 (and treated them badly) for 14 years, and they are still better than a lot of new headphones, and now owning a pair of Q701's and Q460's I can tell you AKG know how to make good headphones