Sub $450ish Camcorder with Mic Input?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeyPotg, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I know theres some threads asking about camcorders, but more specifically, I'm looking for one with a mic input.
    I thought it would be easy, but I didn't realize most companies are no longer including mic inputs on their lower end camcorders... which is ridiculous!
    I've checked bestbuy & b&H (the two places I usually get my purchase orders from) and I just couldn't find any.

Any suggestions?

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi,

I know the Sony DCR-HC96 has a mic input and I thought it also had the bluetooth feature as well. Have you looked on www.camcorderinfo.com for ones with mic inputs? You may need to find some older models that will give you that option (within the last 6-9 months). Also are you looking for tape or HDD or dvd based miniDV?
    Good luck…

3. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Artful, thanks so much for in the info. Are you certain the DCR-HC96 has a mic input? I looked into this camera also, and the first thing is said was that it didn't have on.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC96-Camcorder-Review/AudioPlaybackConnectivity.htm

Actually, I just noticed that B&H sells a separate adapter for mic inputs:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479976-REG/Sony_VMCK100_VMC_K100_Microphone_Adapter.html
    This would mean I can't attach anything else to the hotshoe... but I suppose its the best bang for my buck at this point.

I'd like to try and find the older models as well, but it seems as if the 2 main places I purchase from (Best Buy and B&H) don't offer them anymore.
    I'd prefer minidv, but I would also look into hdd camcorders. No dvds for me!

Thanks again.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What sucks about DV cams these days is the dropping of prosumer models.

Its now either sub $500 or over $1500.

Inbetween you used to find nice cams with some manual controls but not over the top.

Now, you cant even find a simple mic input on a low end one.

As to the OP, Sony camcorders, as long as they have the available "hotshoe" can use this converter thing which gives you a 1/8 mic jack

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479976-REG/Sony_VMCK100_VMC_K100_Microphone_Adapter.html

479976.jpg

5. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for the insight! Thats exactly the accessory that I put in my P.O. just now. The unfortunate thing about that though, is that my students won't be able to attach anything to the hotshoe anymore (wireless mic setup, light, etc).

But I think I've decided to go with that sony cam & attachment as the reviews were solid and it fits the budget.

You rock!

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Down in the review: The second microphone option is a shotgun mic, a condenser mic with cardiod or super-cardiod pickup patterns that are relational to the zoom on the camcorder.
    Since the review states a shotgun mic it "should " have a mic in however it is more than likely proprietary (I could more than be wrong about this) to a Sony mic if you want to use the zoom/audio combo.
    If I remember a few people here on MR have this cam and love the video quality.
    Maybe a local shop has one that you can look at before buying just to make sure it has what you would like or not.
    Good luck :)

7. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

Panasonic PVGS-180

I have used this camera in the past. It is a 3CCD Standard Def camcorder with Mic Input.

I have samples of the video on my website in the signature. The video is called "The Citation 25: Rockumentary" in the Reel section.

Enjoy.

8. jmmx macrumors newbie

Sony DCRHC65 MiniDV - has mic input

A lot of the Canon cams have audio mini-plug inputs, even the consumer level. SEE:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=173

BTW - I have a Sony DCR-TRV17 with mic input, and I have done recordings of flamenco in Spain, and other concerts using external mics. You put your cam on a tripod and have a mic at the speakers, be careful to manually adjust your exposure level, and you have some pretty darn good footage! One time I even took a feed off the sound board, now that was sweet!

I use a BeachTek DXA-2S which has miniplug out to the cam. It has 2 XLR inputs, 2 pots, and stereo line in. See:
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/240770.html

They also make a model with phantom power, but (oddly) it does not have an aux in to take a feed or remote mic input. (I guess a radio mic you can plug in directly to the cam.)

Happy shooting.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

HOLY OLD THREAD BATMAN!

Dont mind me, just adding to my post count too!

10. Fanluuk macrumors newbie