Sub-forums for upcoming products?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by robertpetry, Dec 9, 2010.

1. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Have you given much thought to creating sub-forums for unannounced products like the iPhone 5 or iPad2? That would keep the long list of nearly identical speculation threads from clogging up the main forums.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That would be nice, but it won't work, since people don't read instructions and continually post in the wrong forums, anyway. We could already fill a forum for speculations on the next MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air/iMac/Mac Mini/Mac Pro updates.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. Every product would need their own speculation forum too or it would be a mess (and couldn't exclude the posts in Forum Spy). Mods are already have enough work with moving the current threads.

Trying to keep the discussion in one thread has been tried millions of times but it never works either.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The iPad 2 and iPhone 5 are still iPads and iPhones. Why would they get a separate forum anyway?

5. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Well, the thought is that if there is a sub forum under each product for speculation, it would keep the main forum a lot cleaner. Right now in the iPad forum every other thread is another "what do you want to see in iPad 2?" thread. It makes it harder to find topics on the current iPad.

I have seen it done on other boards successfully and we already have sub forums for things like "launch meetups." Do we really need those still 7 months after a product is released?

There are a lot of products and it may not make sense in the imac/macbookpro/mac mini forums. But I would recommend it for the iPad/iPod/Iphone forums.

Just a suggestion though. It might be a lot of work to keep up with.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Report them and suggest they be merged into each other. This method has been done several times ("I'm waiting for Arrandale"- ugh) with success.