sub wireless apple compatible

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Aug 1, 2009.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I dont have airport, and i am looking for a usb wireless that is compatible. Any reccs? I see several on line, but would like to go to a local best buy to pick oneup. Are any compatible?

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I can't understand what you're talking about. A subwoofer?

3. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, misspelled "sub"
    I am talking about usb
    That is a port in which peripherals can be plugged into
    Into this USB port, I wish to add a wireless adapter. They are available for PCs everywhere, but i need one for my mac pro.
    My mac pro does not have an airport card, but I need a USB dongle or key that is a wireless adapter. 802.11. Hope I was clear now.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

You need to be more specific. What you can get depends very much on the model and OS you're using.

Okay, assuming at least Tiger and early Mac Pro, you can probably use PCIe or USB wireless. If you buy from an outfit such as OWC you can ensure Mac compatibility.

5. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am fully aware that I could get it at OWC. I put that I need to buy it locally at like a best buy or something like that. Need leopard compatible. I need to use it this weekend, and the folks at best buy dont know which is compatible with mac. I have a mac pro 2.66 2006 model, dual core with leopard on it. The brands at best buy include d-link, linksys, etc etc - mainstream brands.

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

That's my point, sales people at Best Buy usually know jack about Macs.

See what OWC carries and check for it locally.

I had an USB 802.11 G wireless D-Link dongle that wasn't Mac compatible, at least out of the box.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'd go to Best Buy and see what they have there. It must have Mac drivers, though.

A better solution would be to get an AirPort card for your Mac Pro.