Subaru 2007 & 2004 Problems

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by malbro, Jan 27, 2008.

1. malbro macrumors newbie

I have owned 2 Subaru Outbacks 2004 & 2007. The 2007 has an AM radio problem. We have had this problem for 1 year. We like to listen to Talk Radio. There is a static or loose conection sound when going over cracks and bumps in the road and on a overcast day the car sounds like the horn goes off. The car is under warranty and Subaru will not help they say "it is as it is". The service department said alot of people are having this problem it's the antenna in the back window which they did not have in the previous models and we did not have this problem in the 2004.

Our 2004 needed a head gasket. Subaru would not help. Although we drive alot of miles it didn't matter that the car was not three years old yet. We are not happy with Subaru and worry that our 2007 will have head gasket problems.

Are there any 2007 Outback owners with AM radio problems? When I am at the gas station and I notice someone with a Subaru Outback with the radio in the rear window I ask them to test there radio out. I just can't believe they won't fix the problem or don't know how to fix the problem. And won't honor their warranty.... There is a a design problem in that car!

I liked the Subaru all wheel drive which is why we bought the car twice. I test drove an Chevy Malbu yesterday and the antenna iis in the rear window and the radio does not have this problem.

It is very, annoying and frustrating when you pay a lot of money for a car and its under warranty and the dealer and Subaru tell you "It is as it is" They are actually telling me to bend over and kiss there big fat Japanese butt. I've got your money and I don't care. Well, I've kissed there big butt twice now they can kiss mine..... I'm thinking of creating a bumper sticker and placing it on my car. Maybe if enough Subaru owners recognize they could have headgasket and radio problem they will fix it. And.... the air conditioner and heater stink.... The 2004 had better air and heater as well.... Thank you for listening!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Regarding the head gasket, you say you drive a lot of miles but the car was not yet 3 years old. Your warranty is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you were over 36,000 miles, they had no obligation to fix it.

With regard to the radio, you are entitled to a warranty repair. If the dealer will not cooperate, call Subaru at (800) 782-2783.

3. malbro thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Problem with 2007 Subaru. Radio

We have had this problem for almost a year. First we were patient with the dealer and also we work and it's not easy to always bring the car in. Sometimes you live with the problem longer than you should. We have contacted Subaru directly by phone, email and a formal letter. They said.... "It is what it it".

4. Greasyman macrumors member

Try NASIOC.com for advice or one of the many, many other Subaru oriented websites.

I believe the head gasket problem was limited to a specific engine, model and year(s) of Subaru and it was long ago taken care of in the design process. It's highly unlikely you'll have that same problem.

If Subaru won't fix the radio and you've done all you can as far as fighting with them, maybe you should just bring it to an independent repair place. It might just be a minor problem that they can fix easily. You might be wasting a lot of angry energy over a very minor problem, like a loose wire or antenna connection. If it really is a poorly designed antenna maybe you can have a standard antenna installed instead of a window one. Probably would cost under $100 including labor.

I have a 2002 WRX and I love it. 63,000 miles and no problems. Good luck to you.

5. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I, too, would recommend www.nasioc.com for some help or call Subaru Corporate and open a case. That is weird that the head gasket failed on a vehicle from 2004.

Try Honda next time, they are REALLY fair and offer a "good will" warranty on many failed parts. I have heard too many bad stories about Subaru to ever buy one. One of my friends had one of the first WRXs in the US and it was literally falling apart at 80K and all the scheduled maintainence had been done and he took very good care of the vehicle.

6. malbro thread starter macrumors newbie

3 years or 36,000 on 2004

My daughter had a 1998 needed a head gasket on the Legacy in 2002 I believe she had 96,000 miles. I just think if the dealer is telling you that a lot of owners are having problems with headgasket and your not alone and Subaru won't even help with the price or give you a discount on the repair there is something to say about a car that is not 3 years old that needs a headgasket. The only car I ever owned that caused me agravation was the Chrysler van when it came out new. That was the only headgasket we ever repaired. I'm old and I've had alot of cars.

2007 under warranty. Well, it's a thorn in my side. We recommended doing an exterior antenna but the dealer did not recommend it because he was afraid of moisture getting in and then....rust.

We got Sirus radio. Nice but we like our AM talk radio and Sirus radio does not carries them. Our country is in such a mess we are going AMERICAN from now once since the trade in value, the repair costs and the aggravation of a foreigh type care is not worth it, that is in our oppinion anyway.

7. ercrtr macrumors newbie

Subaru 2007 & 2004 Problems

I must just be lucky. I've had the joy of a blown head gasket on a Chevy and two Buicks. Destroyed the engine on two out of the three occasions.

Given my aptitude for selecting cars with a high mortality rate for head gaskets maybe I should avoid any thought of buying a Subaru, new or used.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As far as the radio, you should be able to get an external whip or stinger antenna added to the vehicle.