Resolved Subfolders disappearance on NTFS External HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phemt, Feb 13, 2014.

1. phemt, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

phemt macrumors newbie

Let's start with saying that I literally had a folder with 1000+ subfolders so it desperately needed to be organized, so I did just that. I created A to Z folders and moved them accordingly so they're all sorted by letter.

All of this was done using Paragon. So what happens next? I reboot, and the folder with all the subfolders goes missing.

I uninstall Paragon & install Tuxera. Tuxera shows the main folder but not the subfolders. I also searched the main folder with Easyfind which has the ability to search for hidden files/folders, but nothing was found.

All the space is still in use, which I guess is important as it means nothing was deleted. So where did all the subfolders go?

2. GGJstudios, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you may have a corrupt or failing drive. Neither Paragon nor Tuxera would cause folders or files to disappear.

3. phemt thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see where a very few users have claimed that a few years ago, but they did not provide any proof that Paragon was the source of the problem. If this was a known issue, a great number of Paragon users would be reporting it, which is not the case. Like countless others, I've been using it for many years on many drives with no problems.

5. phemt thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorted.

Plugged it in a windows machine and voila. chkdsk worked even though it was giving me errors. Had to move all the folders otherwise they wouldn't be seen in Lion with or without Tuxera/Paragon.

Never installing Paragon again. Sticking with slowpoke Tuxera, but at least it's a little more reliable and doesn't play such dirty tricks on you.