Subforum for PC/Windows games, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 50548, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 50548 Guest

Well, my point is very simple:

- This site is called MacRumors, therefore Mac-related news and messages are priority;

- I am really tired of visiting the Mac Games forum section and clicking on some seemingly very interesting threads just to see that people are talking about PC/Windows games - I presume most if not all people buy Macs EXACTLY to avoid running Windows;

- The Mac gaming market, although smaller than the Windows one, has never been so dynamic and successful as now, especially with the overall growth in Mac market share, the high-profile launch of Steam and long-standing good developers such as Blizzard. Besides, we have a lot going on with the App Store and mainstream games like Dragon Age, L4D2, Age of Heroes etc. So it's absolutely unnecessary to mix both platforms in a single forum section;

- There is already a good precedent for this - console games naturally have their own subforum;

- A Mac running Windows is NOT a Mac, it's a Windows PC - no one in the olden days used to discuss gaming on Virtual PC as Mac gaming. Therefore, it's awfully annoying to check on news and threads that do NOT concern the Mac OS market. People already have a gazillion forums strictly dedicated to Windows gaming - please leave the few Mac gaming sites devoted to REAL Mac gaming.

Concluding request: PLEASE create a subforum for all Windows games, including of course those which require virtualization or bootcamp on Macs - the goal here is to separate PURE Mac gaming news from frankenstein threads and reviews that concern PC gaming solutions.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

One thing to bear in mind about the console games subforum is that when it was created, the major driving aspect of the decision to split it off at the time was to deal with the sheer amount of trouble console-gaming threads would produce: flame wars and spam holes, many of them.

This is going back to possibly 2005, maybe '06... and one of the key decisions involved in creating the new sub-forum was to not count posts towards post count totals, similar to how PRSI works. This seemed to do the trick.

Just putting the console games sub-forum in some additional context. From memory, this also took place before Bootcamp was a factor, so a Windows gaming subforum would have seemed slightly counter to MacRumors' area of interest.

3. 50548 thread starter Guest

Thank you for the quick reply, Blue Velvet; just to further detail my request:

- ONLY games running directly on Macs without need for virtualization solutions or bootcamp would be allowed;

- both OS X and earlier System-era games could be included (since they are Mac games by definition);

- emulation games would be OK as long as they concern earlier Mac games that require some sort of middleman software (Sheepshaver etc.).

I would appreciate if MR could accept this, in order to avoid confusing threads and misunderstandings in terms of Mac gaming - it's really tiring to visit threads and lose a lot of time just to discover that people are talking about a WINDOWS game. I wanna know about Mac launches, not anything else.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows game run on Mac fine though.

So that means there should be Android sub-forum then?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No probs, although I have no say in this matter. Just letting you know one of the major reasons at the time for creating the console games sub-forum.

I stickied a poll in the iPhone forum for a couple of months a couple or so years ago to get some idea of whether people wanted to talk about any kind of phone in the iPhone forums. It split just about 50-50 with many of the strongest feelings coming from those who wanted to keep the iPhone forum iPhone-only. I imagine that people would feel similar to non-iPad tablet discussion in iPad forums...

Speaking only for myself, it seems the main forum page is getting close to peak forum bloat. If it was my joint, I'd create one additional forum for all non-Apple gear and platforms and dump all Android, Nokia, HP, Samsung etc. topics in there — regardless of device — and let topics in there rise and fall with their own success or failure. This would then avoid having to create increasingly niche sub-forums.

This is an Apple-oriented site. Give the rest a place, a big place, but let them fight it out amongst themselves; Samsung Galaxys with Sony-Ericsson phones, Tom Tom GPS units with Linux builds... and let the devil take the hindmost.

6. 50548 thread starter Guest

Glad to see we're sort of on the same page, then...just to reiterate that this IS a Mac/Apple-oriented site and that all those Windows/Android/non-Apple fanboys already have access to thousands of other sites or paper magazines for their own amusement.

I look forward to getting a positive answer to my request...