Subler videos won't sync to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason221, Nov 15, 2010.

1. jason221 macrumors 6502

So I finally found some applications to change .mkv files to .m4v/.mp4 without taking hours to convert the file itself. The two best ones that I have found are Subler and MKVTools. One problem, though. I can add videos (720p) remuxed from .mkv to .m4v using Subler to iTunes but they won't sync to my iPhone 4. I'm thinking it's because the audio codec in the files is AC3 and iTunes needs AAC. I can't figure out how to do that using Subler. Everything works fine with MKVTools, but it takes at least ten to fifteen minutes longer, which is inconvenient for remuxing several TV show episodes.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Have you tried downloading the VLC app for iPhone. During sync you can drag content into the VLC app and it does support lots of formts. I have been using it to play AVI

3. emmgunn macrumors member

You are correct in that the audio codec needs to be aac for the iPhone, so it looks like you'll have to do a little bit or re-encoding. The other thing to be aware of is that the iphone needs the avc profile level to be set to 3.1, which I'm not sure if Subler does. I would think that it does. You can verify that with and app like mediaInfo. If it's not being changed, you won't be able to sync.

Note, with MKVtools, if you use the iPhone setting in the "Quick" tab, then the audio will automatically be re-encoded to aac, which might be why it is taking longer with MKVtools. Also, MKVtools doesn't have an iPhone 4 option yet in the Quick tabs, so if you're inputting a 720P file, the video will also be re-encoded since MKVtools is trying to create a video compatible with older models. You should be using the MP4 tab and set the video to passthru, audio to aac and the device to iPhone. For a TV show, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so.

Also, in case you weren't aware of it (most people aren't), if you drag all of your TV shows to MKVtools and make your settings, all the files are added to the queue with those settings. You just need to make sure that each video has a similar track format (e.g., video - track #1, audio - track #2).

4. jason221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good suggestion, but it doesn't play 720p .mkv files.

OK, so I figured out that if I copy the files onto my computer's hard drive first instead of just remuxing while the files are still on my external hard drive, the process goes much faster. I've just been doing Video: pass-thru, Audio: AAC (2 ch.), and Device: General. They sync to my iPhone just fine.

5. emmgunn macrumors member

Just be aware that with the device set to "General" MKVtools won't set the avc profile level to something Apple TV friendly. This isn't an issue if the original file has an acceptable avc level, but many MKV's do not.