Subliminal Message with SMS Texting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.stinki, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I just thought of this. I know it may sound incredibly noob-ish and stuff, but here it goes.

On my old phone, i never texted. I would rarely go over 100 texts per month, now with the iphone, i easily go over 1,000 per month. I sometimes forget when texting, that i'm texting. I sometimes feel like I'm just IMing instead. Did Apple do this secretly to make people text more?

Your thoughts?

2. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it probably came across during the design phases for SMS.app, but honestly, I'm glad they did. SMS is truthfully painful on any other phone when compared to how easily messages are organized/threaded on the iPhone.

3. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Just set up an AIM buddy list with all of your phone numbers as buddies with a "+" before the number. e.g. +12125555555. Then jailbreak your iPhone and install ApolloIM or MobileChat. There you go, texting for free through aim on your iPhone. If you have unlimited texting, nevermind.

4. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

The Treo also threads messages into conversations and it does feel more like you are IMing!

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah the treo is also a good texting phone.

It really just boils down to ease of use. I'm not going to want to send SMSes to people on a regular phone keypad because it takes longer and requires more work. But a full qwerty pad makes it a lot easier, so I have no problem texting.

It would REALLY be nice if you had the option of pairing one of these to an iPhone., for when you happen to be at a desk and have one handy. or at the very least, allow you to send SMS through a bluetooth-paired laptop.

6. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Why do you think this is? Do you think the developers at Apple have been unable to write a version of iChat for the iPhone? Not hardly! They want you to text and not IM as they make money of each text message or ding you an extra 20.00 per month to make it unlimited.

Its extra money in both AT&T and Apple's pocket for you to text!

I'm sure there days are numbered after June when I'm sure there will be a bunch of IM programs available for the iPhone...

7. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Including iChat via a WiFi connection. BTW, my daughter set up her AIM account on her cell phone and it cost me a fortune. Every one of her entries and every one of the replies was billed as a text message. She no longer has that feature allowed on her phone.
    I don't see the big deal with text messaging. I have not sent 200 ever on my iPhone. I will send an e-mail or call. :D

8. kepner macrumors 6502

It's no secret. It's what Apple does... makes formerly tedious tasks so enjoyable that you want to do them more. The iPhone has done for text messaging what Time Machine did for backups, iTunes for ripping/burning, iPhoto for digital photo management, iMovie for casual video editing, etc.