Submerged Ipod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rks171, May 4, 2011.

  1. rks171 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #1
    It finally happened. On one of my canoe trips, I fell in and, to my horror, when I reached into my pocket, I found that I had forgotten to put my ipod touch in the dry bag. I immediately pulled it out and held it out of the water - it was probably submerged for 10-15 seconds total. Unfortunately, I didn't know anything about saving wet electronics at the time and I immediately tried to turn it on. It came on, I shut it off, we went further downstream and I tried it again, but when it came on the screen was all messed up and then it finally shut off.

    When I got home, 14 hours after the dunking incident, I put it in a tupperware container full of dessicant and left it that way for 84 hours. I just took it out today and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened. I plugged it in, figuring the battery was completely drained, and the 'dead battery' icon came on. After a minute or two, this changed to the apple logo. The apple logo stays on for a bit and then shuts off, comes on, shuts off. If I turn it on by pressing the home button, it keeps bringing up the 'dead battery' symbol even though I let it charge for like 10 minutes now. I plugged it into the computer and itunes won't recognize the device.

    So I put it back in the dessicant for now. Do you think that maybe the battery is completely fried and won't hold any charge? I can pick one up on ebay for like $6 and replace it to see if that works.
     
  2. RobMoss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    #2
    I fear the battery may be the least of your worries...
     
  3. blueroom macrumors 603

    blueroom

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #3
    Sounds like it's a goner.

    If you can wait Apple seems to bundle a free iPod touch with their student bundle, most students sell em off on Craigslist. OR at least here in Canada, some retailers will give you $50 towards a new iPod touch if you trade in an old MP3 player to recycle.
     
  4. rks171 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #4
    Yeah, I mean I figured that since it kept displaying 'dead battery', even when charging, that maybe the battery wasn't holding a charge. I don't know anything about circuitry, though, so I suppose it can be any number of problems. Plus, the apple logo pops up, which makes me think it might not be the battery.
     
  5. ilikecorn500 macrumors member

    ilikecorn500

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    #5
    It happened to me too....

    The same kind of thing happened to me too, but I wasn't canoeing, I left it outside in the rain for a night. After that I put it in a bag of dry rice and waited for a very, very, very long time. About four days. After that, I plugged it in to charge, but it showed the low battery screen, and it stayed like that for a very long time. I kept it there. The next day, I turned it on, and it was fine. The only problem was that if I wanted to connect to Wi-Fi, the range was very low, so I had to be like 10 feet away from the router. Hope that helps! :)
     
  6. rks171 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #6
    Hmm, I only tried charging it for like 10 min, so maybe I'll try it longer. Problem is, I already took the screen off thinking all hope was lost and ended up tearing the paper-thin cable that attaches the digitizer to the ipod. I'm still figuring out what to do with the thing.
     
  7. rks171 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #7
    So I left it on the charger for the better part of 24 hours and as it was charging more and more, the 'charge' indicator on the screen got fainter and fainter. The lcd screen also turns black when you press the home button now. I think it actually got worse as the charge indicator and apple icon were bright when I first finished drying it.

    It seems to me there was some kind of short or some corrossion that got worse when the electricity was running through the ipod. But I left it in the dessicant for like 4 days, so I don't see how there could have been any water left in it. Maybe I'll pop off the LCD screen this weekend and check out what's going on under there. I'm not sure there's anything I could do about it, though.
     
  8. keithanimmo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 19, 2011
    #8
    help in hand :D


    right you had the iPod in a Tupperware tub, good, show iPod boot logo iPod definitely not dead. first thing to do is you open up iTunes on your computer, plug your sync cable into your computer not your iPod, plug your iPod in and literally a milli-second after you plug it in hold the home button and don't release it till iTunes recognizes it I done this first time. the iPod touch will go to recovery mode and show the iTunes and usb screen. hope you fix it and good luck mate.
     
  9. keithanimmo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 19, 2011
    #9
    :)

    if your going to put the ipod in a drawer out of site can you send it to me i currently need a new lock button and the digitizer as mine is cracked:(
     
  10. rks171 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    #10
    My digitizer will be of no use to you as I ripped the cable in half when taking it off. I'll point you to ebay. I saw new digitizers for only $13 on there.

    I tried the previous commenter's suggestion, but the ipod didn't go into recovery mode even after holding the button in for 30 seconds. The screen is so faint, all I can really see when I plug it in is that it turns black and a very faint lightning bolt symbol. It seems the long charge has degraded the screen quality. I'm starting to think this will just be toast. I've seen some used ipod touch 2G's on craigslist for between $45 and $80. So my loss has not been too devastating. The only thing that I might not be up to date on backing up was my contact list.

    Moral of the story, don't go near large bodies of water with your ipod.
     

Share This Page