Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jolla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I've registered as a developer (free account) some time ago, and applied for the iPhone Developer Program recently. My account has not been approved yet.

My question(s) would be:
1. do you have to have a paid ($99 for students) ADC account before you can be an iphone developer?
2. do you pay the costs (also $99) for the iPhone Developer Program before or after you are selected/approved?
3. Are there any other costs to submit apps?

opivy1218

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
You can download the SDK completley free of charge now, but to actually test them on your iPhone and submit them to the AppStore, yes, you would need to pay that $99.

jolla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I assume that before you can actually pay that $99 you need to be selected by apple first?

vpashkov

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Do you have an app?

I have this license. Can't finish our apps on time... Does anyone have a completed app? I can put it app store today. 6 hours to deadline. email to pashkov@gmail.com

robhedin

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
My question(s) would be:
1. do you have to have a paid ($99 for students) ADC account before you can be an iphone developer?
You can register and download the iPhone SDK for free, no ADC membership is required. You will need an Intel Mac to actually do development, however, and you will only be able to run your applications on the iPhone Simulator.

2. do you pay the costs (also $99) for the iPhone Developer Program before or after you are selected/approved?
You apply for the program and provide some information. At some point in the future Apple will contact you for more information and to verify your identity. After that process has been completed, you will be invited to pay your $99 fee. Once that fee has been paid, you will be granted access to the iPhone Developer Portal where you can get the necessary files to load your application onto your own iPhone/iPod Touch, as well as access to iTunes Connect where you can submit your finished application for inclusion to the App Store.

3. Are there any other costs to submit apps?
To "submit" applications, only the $99 mentioned above is necessary, however if you plan on charging a fee for your application, then apple will basically be taking 30% of whatever you decide to charge as their fee.

Additionally, I believe the $99 fee is a recurring annual fee that you must pay each year. I'd have to go back and verify that in my contracts, however.

rob.

jolla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Thanks a lot Rob! That was all the information I needed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.