Submitting update including iOS7 compatibility

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by D.T., Sep 9, 2013.

1. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

We've got a new version of our app on deck, it's got some new features, but also has a handful of updates to account for some iOS7 issues (some constraint changes, layout tweaks, 3rd party library update).

When I built my container in ITC, one of my line items was "iOS7 compatibility", and ITC honked at me about it, saying it could be reason for a denied review (I'm sure it's just some simple text parsing).

Anyway, the app isn't for iOS7 only, it's 6.1+, it's still built under Xcode 4.6.x ... I'm assuming Apple doesn't want iOS7 only ahead of the public release, but is just a forward compatibility update.

I want to get it rolling now, avoid the rush, and have it ready and waiting - plus, let the users know it does run under iOS7 (since the current build does _not_) :)

Anyone else submit an iOS7 compat update? Get the message? Any issues with the review process? (this is our 6th update and never had any issues before, but never updated to account for a major new iOS version)

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I've had no experience with a major OS update BUT what have you got to lose?

If you submit it now, it'll take a week or two to get reviewed anyway, then when it does, if they reject it, submitting an altered version will get looked at pretty quickly.

I've seen a few updates which openly admit support for new OS's (both Mac and iOS). They're just careful with the language and cite "added compatibility for future versions of iOS" instead of mentioning iOS 7 specifically.

What's unusual is that Apple don't seem to be offering any early invitations to build iOS 7 compatible apps this year.

3. D.T. thread starter macrumors 603

D.T.

Thanks for the input, yeah, we went ahead and submitted ... I kind of clarified the update to indicate "Compatible with iOS6 and iOS7" to make a point it's not a unique iOS7 version, but just works on iOS7.

FWIW, we've been getting 5-6 day review times the last couple of updates.

4. Sonnestah macrumors regular

I added the same line and got metadata rejected. The reviewer asked me to remove references to iOS7.

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm expecting Apple to request iOS 7 compatible apps shortly after the keynote ends tomorrow. I've had an iOS 7 app waiting in the wings for about a month now... unfortunately my iOS dev account expires in about 3 days... the timing kind of sucks... I was hoping to see if the app did well before deciding to renew, and if it didn't do well I was just going to vanish from the iOS app store until my next app is ready (probably won't be until next year.)

6. D.T. thread starter macrumors 603

D.T.

Hmmm, I mean, I could easily leave that out and just let it silently become iOS7 compatible (it worked, it just had style/formatting issues).

That's a bummer! I get where you're coming from, I guess I'd suck up another year of dev account, you never know, you might come up with another idea, your app might pickup, you might score some work where you need to distribute apps to a client, etc.

7. xArtx macrumors 6502a

I did an iOS 7 update because an App of mine failed under iOS7 beta,
    but did not mention that's what the update was for.
    It also had a few other changes and that's all I mentioned in "What's New for this Version".
    Was the extra month for the ITC downtime applied to your account?

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Yes. My account was originally going to expire in early August.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apple is now accepting iOS 7 apps. You should be good to go.