Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

The reason that one is so cheap is that it's an additional account on the seller's MobileMe account, not one on it's own right.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd also seriously question the validity of selling these subscriptions like this, has anyone ever questioned whether or not it's a legit deal to sell a "additional account"? I'd also be so inclined to question how much control the seller has over your entire account if it's an add-on account to his master account.

Edit: I asked Apple. I had to deal with them on another Mobile Me issue. In short (during the chat), this is what was said:
Hunter H.: No Resale of Service
You agree that you will not reproduce, copy, duplicate, sell, resell, rent or trade the Service (or any part thereof) for any purpose.
Hunter H.: Yes selling one of the sub accounts is not allowed per the terms of service.

So buyer beware.

drewster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Well -- that would explain the price -- and yes - I agree, probably against terms of service.

So I suppose that leads to the next question, any leads on getting a 'legit deal' on MobileMe -- love the idea of the service, but it is a bit rich for a student...

Thanks.

jeromego

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2009
Florida
same question here re mobile me. amazon sells it for $69, does this mean if i buy this the $69 already includes my 1 yr subscription?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well -- that would explain the price -- and yes - I agree, probably against terms of service.

So I suppose that leads to the next question, any leads on getting a 'legit deal' on MobileMe -- love the idea of the service, but it is a bit rich for a student...

Thanks.
According to Mobile Me's TOS
No Resale of Service
You agree that you will not reproduce, copy, duplicate, sell, resell, rent or trade the Service (or any part thereof) for any purpose.
So technically speaking, any reselling of any Mobile Me sub is in violation of their TOS unless those sellers are authorized resellers. However, I assure you I paid $50 for my sub on eBay the first time and it was a stand alone account. It worked. A year later I bought a sub here for another $50. So yeah, it's technically a violation but it works.

The issue I take with selling a 5GB add-on account is that the master account holder (who could be the seller or some other poor soul he sold the subscription to) has 100% control over your account regardless of your password being changed and such. According to Apple, the person holding the master account (think AOL) has complete control and authorization to gain access to your account, change, and/or cancel it at any time.

I encourage you to seek out Mobile Me subscriptions off Amazon or eBay and ensure you get a box (sealed).

same question here re mobile me. amazon sells it for $69, does this mean if i buy this the $69 already includes my 1 yr subscription?
For $69 you can renew using the code or start a new account. A renewal is the same price as a new account.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008

Thanks.

I found mine on eBay for $53 shipped, that came with a sealed box and everything, pretty good deal if you ask me, just have to watch eBay.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
I did buy a single account attached presumably to the sellers master account, and so did a mate of mine.

He asked us what usernames we wanted and gave us a temporary password and that was it all done. I bought mine for about £20 and its great, got a whole year...not too sure how he's doing it unless he buys one master account a day or something.

ash06

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Hey, i just bought MobileMe for under $20 on eBay..
Is it legit??

UPDATE*

The box came in the mail today,
It was a sealed box, and the code worked perfect, MobileMe is awesome, and the services work seamlessly with my mac and iPhone, Apple has done great, especially with the push email ;)

Kind Regards,
Ash

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
i bought a family pack on eBay last year when we both got 3G's, emailed me the code and never had an issue. Im up for renewal at the end of July I think or early August. I'd always check and make sure good feedback, and that it isnt 500 in a month, make sure the feedback is from a decent time, like years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.