Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I currently have subscriptions to three magazines on Zinio. Once iOS5 comes out with News Stand, do you think I would be able to access my current subscriptions on News Stand even though I did the subscription in Zinio? I am really tired of Zinio crashing on me.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I am actually waiting for Newstand to come out. I love magazines and have always kept a subscription since I was 12 years old. I am 30 now. But having everything digital is really nice.

I am on board for the future here. What I really want is access to archives from Magazines I owned from the 90's. Nostalgia couldn't be sweeter via digital.

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
I doubt you could do that. This is one reason I will not renew my Subscriptions on Zinio. I hope Newstand selection is as good as Zinio and hopefully Apple can work out a better deal on subscription prices.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Zinio has been fine for me. Newstand will have to be significantly better for me to switch. Plus the hassle of having two different apps for magazines. Same with kindle and ibooks. Hate that they can't easily share data.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I absolutely love Zinio. But if I'm going to be honest, I have to admit I'm going to switch to Apple's NewsStand.

And yes, it's just because Apple did it. You know they're going to do it better. It's part fanboy and partly a realistic view of how this company operates. They admittedly take great ideas from other people/companies and do it their way, better.

I'm looking forward to it.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
My understanding is Newsstand is a folder, rather than an app. Magazine apps like Zinio, Wired, etc. will reside in there.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I don't think you are correct there. Newstand is an app like iBooks and there will be magazines you subscribe to like books you purchase. Zinio is a competitor of Newstand and will probably go out of business eventually unless they offer prices a good bit lower than Newstand.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
An issue is that some magazines that are available through Zinio are not available in the App Store. All "Newstand" will be is a folder collection of Magazine/Newspaper apps avaiable in the iTunes Store.

For example, MacWorld and Rolling Stone are available through Zinio, but they do not have apps in the iTunes Store. You will still need to have both to get all possible magazines.

Last edited:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I don't think you are correct there. Newstand is an app like iBooks and there will be magazines you subscribe to like books you purchase. Zinio is a competitor of Newstand and will probably go out of business eventually unless they offer prices a good bit lower than Newstand.

No, they won't go out of business. Zinio has one edge Apple won't match: you can view zinio on almost any device/computer. Same with Kindle. Until Apple matches that they won't compare. I prefer iBooks to Kindle in interface but Kindle is something I can take with me if I ever had to leave the Apple platform. Or just simply view it in some other way.

thecallmeguru

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Hey Guys,

This was my first question when I saw WWDC, so i called Zinio, and I was assured they are not going anywhere. After a few moments of thought, I realized that Zinio is 10 times better(for now, who knows maybe apple will take over digital magazines FOR EVERYTHING one day) But you can't beat the fact that your 1 subscription will get you access on a PC, MAC, iPod, iPad, iPhone, Android device and even your friends computer while your bored at his house from a web browser.(that's amazing)

They offer the text re-flow for when I want to only read text and they have amazing customer service. Live humans 5 days a week responding to phone calls and emails, they are always super helpful and knowledgeable.

I have been using the service since PC Mag went digital only and know I get most of my mags from them. Macworld and Linux format included(techno junkie I am)

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
No, they won't go out of business. Zinio has one edge Apple won't match: you can view zinio on almost any device/computer.

Now that Newsstand is out, and I have checked into it, I am not finding much compelling over Zinio. Many of the issues are the same as Zinio. Just straight copies of the paper magazine - and that's fine. I don't need all the noise of an interactive magazine. It's kinda cool, but the straight issues are fine.

Zinio has a much wider selection and can be viewed on your iPad as well as a computer. I think right now, Zinio gives you more options. But I really, really HATE Adobe Air. I refuse to run it on my system. Both offer subscriptions at almost the same price.

Except Wired. You can subscribe to Wired's print magazine for $12 a year and get the iPad edition for free. So that's both print and digital for $12. The Wired subscription on Zinio is $80. a year. Whuaaaaaaaat?

Anyone else sticking with Zinio for things other than Wired? ;)

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Newstand did automagically import the copy of national geographic I'd bought on the national geographic app.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
Same deal for me. I can't see what Newstand really does better than Zinio. Plus I like having control of my subscription through Zinio rather than Apple. I appreciate being able to dial a number and get a person if I have a problem.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Now that Newsstand is out, and I have checked into it, I am not finding much compelling over Zinio. Many of the issues are the same as Zinio. Just straight copies of the paper magazine - and that's fine. I don't need all the noise of an interactive magazine. It's kinda cool, but the straight issues are fine.

Zinio has a much wider selection and can be viewed on your iPad as well as a computer. I think right now, Zinio gives you more options. But I really, really HATE Adobe Air. I refuse to run it on my system. Both offer subscriptions at almost the same price.

Except Wired. You can subscribe to Wired's print magazine for $12 a year and get the iPad edition for free. So that's both print and digital for $12. The Wired subscription on Zinio is $80. a year. Whuaaaaaaaat?

Anyone else sticking with Zinio for things other than Wired? ;)

That is a great price. Have you heard of just the digital version for that price?

I like Zinio, however here of late the program has been very up and down. I love the service and have several subscriptions through them. But it kind of sucks when you have a magazine that won't fully download or if the prorgram crashes when you open up a magazine.

jergreen

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Whichever has the magazines that you want. If a magazine is on both, then Apple Newsstand is better, but I think maybe more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.