Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Weird problem I’ve had for months and can’t figure out what’s causing it or how to stop it. My family are all have iCloud IDs used on both Macs and iPhones. I’m the organiser, there is one other adult (partner) and the others are youths. We have location sharing switched on between all of us.

However the problem is that the sharing of my partner’s location to me keeps on switching off automatically. But no other sharing, so I can see the kids, they can see my partner, and my partner can see everyone. I have admin access to all the devices.

When this happens I can see the settings on my partner’s iPhone (SE and previously an 8 also, latest iOS) and also her MacBookPro (Catalina). They all show the setup correctly (i.e. me seeing her location is disabled). However I know for sure that she has not changed it - either on the Mac or iPhone. I’ve even tried locking down the settings on all the devices to stop them being changed accidentally. This doesn’t work. Whenever I switch it all back on, within a seemingly random period of between 2 minutes and 48 hours, it turns off again. I can see the timings as I get iMessage notification of sharing being turned on then off.

I’ve also tried logging completely out of iCloud for my partner and back in again. Also we’ve changed passwords and have 2FA on so I doubt it’s any hacking. Nothing solve this. It feels like some weird bug in iCloud replication state or something.

I’ve searched web/forum but can’t find much specifically. I did raise an Apple support case but they never called me back at the appointed time (annoying). Maybe I should try that again.

Any ideas? Anyone had similar problems and resolved?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.