subsidized iphone price question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heatguts58, Aug 20, 2008.

1. heatguts58 macrumors member

well i am actually an at&t customer and want the new 3g iphone, but im hearing that i cant get an iphone for the subsidized price of 200 and will have to pay 400. can anyone confirm this?

and why is that? 2g iphone users got to upgrade for the subsidized price, why cant i upgrade with the same deal?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iPhone EDGE users didn't have subsidized phones, so they qualified for the Subsidized price for the 3G. I believe that you cannot get the subsidized price if you have received a subsidized phone within the last 22 months.

TEG

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Logon to your AT&T account and it will tell you if you're eligible or not.

If you received a subsidy on another phone from AT&T in the last two years, chances are you're not eligible for another subsidized phone.

Original iPhone owners paid full-price for their phones ($599 orig, $399 a few months later). AT&T didn't subsidize the price of the original iPhone.

At least that's how it was explained to me by our AT&T corp account rep.

There have been some inconsistancies to this rule. For example, some people got a phone subsidy from AT&T 12 months ago, switched to and original iPhone 3 months ago, and were able to get the iPhone 3G for the subsidized price. I guess AT&T may have simply let anyone with an original iPhone get the new one for the subsidized price, even if that person did get a subsidy in the last 24 months.