Subsidized phone bill not showing 6s+ fee

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I ordered the 6s+ from ATT on October 2015 via Premier Online Store. Initial payment was:

6s+ $399
Applecare $99
Upgrade Fee $45
Monthly data plan $30 (now $40)

So my initial one-time charge was $588.28

I see a monthly charge for $27.60 in the order summary. Is this the monthly fee to pay off the subsidized phone? I don't see it in bills as far back as June 2016(att site only allows that far back).

Here is my current bill. There are some additional small gov. fees etc totalling about $12.

CAN ANYONE confirm if I am still paying fee for subsidized iphone or do they stop charging you at some point even if your 2-year contract is over? My contract ended around first week of october.

1. Nation 450 with Rollover 39.99
2. International Roaming - Expanded 0.00
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM 40.00 5.
Messaging 200 5.00
National Account Discount 7.20CR

Total Monthly Charges 77.79

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I called them but CSR couldn't find the $27.60 bill even when he looked back in 2015. My bill has only gone up $10 since start of contract because ATT raised their wireless 4g bill by $10. Perhaps it slipped through the cracks. I cant find bill anywhere.

Anyway, asked about other new plans and he said their unlimited plan is $95. I am grandfathered in their original unlimited.

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
U purchase the iPhone 6S in October 2015 at the subsidized price. U are on a 2 year contract which probably is over. There is no “fee” U did not do monthly financing.

U should be out of contract now.

Att stopped subsidized contracts for even their old customers in January 2016.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
My initial payment for the phone was about $400. That is the subsidized fee for rougly $900 6s+phone. I do not see any charge for $27.60 in my bill as that would be the subsidized montly payment. CSR checked back to late 2015 and even early 2016 and couldn't find the $27.60 charge.

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Your purchased a subsidized phone, so there is no fee as the fee was built into the contract price. You are out of contract, but you never had a monthly fee for a subsidized phone. No need to be rude to people trying to help either.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
My initial payment for the phone was about $400. That is the subsidized fee for rougly $900 6s+phone. I do not see any charge for $27.60 in my bill as that would be the subsidized montly payment. CSR checked back to late 2015 and even early 2016 and couldn't find the $27.60 charge.
You were never charged for the subsidized amount as any type of monthly fee or payment since there is no such thing with the Grandfathered plans. The difference between the subsidy price you paid and the actual retail price of the device was covered in your rate plan and the requirement to have a 2 yr contract. Based on your earlier post, you indicated that your contact ended earlier this month. So you are out of contract and you fully own your iPhone 6s+. There is no discount or fee to be removed, you just keep paying the same monthly amount.

Note: AT&T recovered this subsidized monthly payment by overcharging you for your Nation 450 with Rollover 39.99 plan for 24 months. All the US carriers did the same thing. The bad news is that once AT&T and the other carriers stopped offering subsidized phones, they did not lower the rate plans. They just announced new plans at an even higher price and came up with the "Next" plans to cover financing which replaced the old subsidy model.

Dave

Reactions: Atomic Walrus

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
You purchased a subsidized phone on 2 year contract, you did not finance a phone. If it was $400, then you bought the 128GB model.

If you had financed the phone, you would have paid only the sales tax upfront and then the monthly payment would have been in the bill. You did not finance a phone.

Hi,

I ordered the 6s+ from ATT on October 2015 via Premier Online Store. Initial payment was:

6s+ $399
Applecare $99
Upgrade Fee $45
Monthly data plan $30 (now $40)

So my initial one-time charge was $588.28

I see a monthly charge for $27.60 in the order summary. Is this the monthly fee to pay off the subsidized phone? I don't see it in bills as far back as June 2016(att site only allows that far back).

Here is my current bill. There are some additional small gov. fees etc totalling about $12.

CAN ANYONE confirm if I am still paying fee for subsidized iphone or do they stop charging you at some point even if your 2-year contract is over? My contract ended around first week of october.

1. Nation 450 with Rollover 39.99
2. International Roaming - Expanded 0.00
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM 40.00 5.
Messaging 200 5.00
National Account Discount 7.20CR

Total Monthly Charges 77.79
if youre on the 450 with rollover plan you wont get an increase or decrease with a contract. thats the plan that im on and if i got a phone on next then i will get an increase due to the payments. if i switched to the mobile share advantage id get a $20 discount for being out of contract.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
“I see a monthly charge for $27.60 in the order summary. Is this the monthly fee to pay off the subsidized phone? I don't see it in bills as far back as June 2016(att site only allows that far back).”

The OP is just getting confused with the summary pdf that he’s reading. Summary report means nothing. It’s the actual bill that counts. Summary reports gets generated when u upgrade ur phOne and it’s just an estimate. That’s all. Means nothing

And Op got subsidized upgrade back in October 2015.

They need to do their math whether it’s worth it staying with ATT with grandfathers plan considering no subsidy.

I see they have $5 limited text messages package. If they don’t sms (and many use iMessage or Facebook messages etc). Than the $5 200 sms package works for them at $77/month.

But frankly. If they are on single line. Att prepaid $60 unlimited may make more sense. Though speeds may be limited to 3mpbs. Cricket may be an option also.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Wow, I just looked into this myself today.

I’m in the same situation. I've been with AT&T for years, always under the old grandfathered plan. And for years my charge has been $39 voice, $30 data (later $40 data). I have a FAN discount so that brings it down a good bit.

AT&T never line–itemized the subsidy. It was hidden.

So I read recently about something called DISCOUNT FOR ACCESS which I thought said that I should now get a discount on what I’m paying because my 6s is paid off. But nope. AT&T says that was a promotion and that my bill will still be the same next month, etc. I can continue on with my old grandfathered plan indefinitely (barring whatever changes they make to it on their end, I assume) but I can only upgrade if I buy outright and bring the new device to this plan (with of course the activation fee). So effectively to keep this plan, I’ll be paying in essence an extra $150-$200 a year that is not money being put towards paying down a new subsidized phone. So instead of paying $300 - $400 for a new subsidized iPhone, I’m going to be paying $700 - $1150, not including tax, and still pay the same per month to AT&T.

Do I have this right? Can somebody confirm either my facts or thought process?

Reactions: macfacts
Wow, I just looked into this myself today.

I’m in the same situation. I've been with AT&T for years, always under the old grandfathered plan. And for years my charge has been $39 voice, $30 data (later $40 data). I have a FAN discount so that brings it down a good bit.

AT&T never line–itemized the subsidy. It was hidden.

So I read recently about something called DISCOUNT FOR ACCESS which I thought said that I should now get a discount on what I’m paying because my 6s is paid off. But nope. AT&T says that was a promotion and that my bill will still be the same next month, etc. I can continue on with my old grandfathered plan indefinitely (barring whatever changes they make to it on their end, I assume) but I can only upgrade if I buy outright and bring the new device to this plan (with of course the activation fee). So effectively to keep this plan, I’ll be paying in essence an extra $150-$200 a year that is not money being put towards paying down a new subsidized phone. So instead of paying $300 - $400 for a new subsidized iPhone, I’m going to be paying $700 - $1150, not including tax, and still pay the same per month to AT&T.

Do I have this right? Can somebody confirm either my facts or thought process?
you are right for the most part. on the older plans like your $39 there is no "DISCOUNT FOR ACCESS" as that didnt come out until their mobile share plans. im on the same plan as you and the op and what ive been told by at&t several times is that i can either buy a phone outright or i can upgrade on their next plan which will add the installments to my account. the end result is the same in regards to price which is why i am considering going to my wifes tmobile account. there shouldnt be an upgrade fee if you buy the phone outright. you can keep your plan until you change it or in the event at&t decides to no longer support that plan. im not on unlimited data so i considered their $90 unlimited plan but i never did it as im considering going to tmobile. i have my own theory on why all of the carriers moved away from subsidizing the phones and actually wrote a paper on it for an mba class.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I spoke to ATT at length and they tried to get me to switch to unlimited choice but that is capped at 3mbps per second for $65 a month. their unlimited plus was $95. so grandfathered unlimited is not bad for my needs as i have thousands of unused minutes and since using imessage don't need text messages. u do get 10gb mobile hotspot and hbo for unlimited+.

I spoke to ATT at length and they tried to get me to switch to unlimited choice but that is capped at 3mbps per second for $65 a month. their unlimited plus was $95. so grandfathered unlimited is not bad for my needs as i have thousands of unused minutes and since using imessage don't need text messages. u do get 10gb mobile hotspot and hbo for unlimited+.
im on an old 450 minute plan with 5gb of data and with insurance i pay $100.98 before taxes with my 20% airline discount. if i were to switch to the unlimited plus plan with insurance id pay $92.74 before taxes with my 15% air force reserve discount since i couldnt use my 20% airline discount on the unlimited plans. yes id save $8.24 a month and get unlimited data but i dont ever go over my 5gb. but i can use my phone in canada and mexico which is a plus. the reason that i havent changed plans is that my wife keeps saying we should combine our plans on her tmobile wed then pay $144 for 2 lines before taxes unless