Substitute for flash file with mind in ios devices

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cool11, May 17, 2011.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I have a web page with some flash files (.swf video) inside. I will not deal with html5 conversion at this momment. The tools avalaible now are not mature. 50k swf video was converted to a 700k pack of files with adobe wallaby application.

So, I want to add some lines of html(or something like that) in my page, so that it will recognise when an apple device ipad-iphone-ipod (except mac) browse the web page, and make it display a simple .jpg file instead of .swf flash file.

Can you please help me accomplish this task?

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I can't tell you how to do it, but "User agent" detection is what you're looking for, should help with searching Google. :)

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I read somewhere about java video players but I do not know if it is a good idea.

4. samwich macrumors regular

You could maybe use swfObject (google it) to embed your flash files via javascript. Then there is a parameter that you can specify HTML alternative content in case the user's browser doesn't support flash.

5. manueld macrumors 6502

6. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Even when the technologies are mature, when has shoveling content from one incompatible format to another ever been efficient?

I second with the SWFObject suggestion. All flash sites should be using it as it is far better than the standard embed. This will give you a simple fallback for any browser that does not support SWF.

7. manueld macrumors 6502

I'd like to ask, why are you converting the SWF video file instead of the original movie file? You probably would get better compression if you used the original file.