Substituting fries for onion rings debate

sunnylee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
If someone told you that they wanted you to substitute their fries for onion rings in an order, what does that mean to you? Having no prior knowledge of the situation (if they had fries or onion rings to begin with) what would you initially think?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
It means that the package will be dropped off at the corner of 8th and Walnut. Allow the man with the green hat to pass the location before you make the pick up. We're all counting on you.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
What about if someone eats fries half the time, but substitutes onion rings the rest of the time? What then? I mean, with no prior knowledge of the situation.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I think what the OP meant to say is "substitute fries for onion rings" instead of "substitute their fries for onion rings."

The latter is clear-cut, but the former can be a bit ambiguous, and in the former it is hard to tell what the person is wanting to swap out if you don't know what they currently have.

sunnylee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Yea i meant fries for onion rings.

But I was discussing this with some of my co workers and when asking around, its basically been half and half... I guess its just ambiguous, but one of my professors said that he thought older generations would choose the fries... but he's British and on point with his English so idk!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If you want to substitute fries FOR onion rings, you are asking for fries.
If you want to substitute fries WITH onion rings, you are asking for onion rings.

If you are spending time replying to this you have too much free time (umm...I gotta go do something productive now).

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'm wondering what the onion rings are for...

I always thought they were more. Fries are El Cheapo.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
If someone told you that they wanted you to substitute their fries for onion rings in an order, what does that mean to you? Having no prior knowledge of the situation (if they had fries or onion rings to begin with) what would you initially think?
Well, first I would think What the f**k do I look like, a waiter?
But then realizing that I have legs I would walk away and call mental institution to see if it had any runaways. :rolleyes:

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
If they say "substitute their fries for onion rings" it means they want onion rings instead of fries.

If they say "substitute fries for the onion rings" then it could mean they want fries instead of onion rings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.