Subtitle issues with Apple DVD Player

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nuncupatory, Nov 8, 2008.

1. nuncupatory macrumors member

I have an early 08 MBP. I used to play DVDs with Apple DVD player fine, but lately I've noticed that whenever I watch using subtitles (I watch a lot of foreign stuff), the subs are sporatically dropping out. There doesn't seem to be any pattern... if I rewind and rewatch the exact same scene over, the dropped lines of dialog are different than the first time. Happens with multiple DVDs, and doesn't happen when I pop the same DVDs into a standalone player.

I don't know why it's suddenly an issue. It seemed to happen sometime after the 10.5.5 update, but that may just be a coincidence. My current workaround has been to use VLC media player... but VLC tends to be a bit glitchy when it comes to playing DVDs.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue, or does anybody else watching subbed DVDs notice the same problem? I'm trying to figure out if it's a MBP issue, OS X, or just my computer.

2. Rielston macrumors newbie

My subtitles won't turn off...

I'm having a subtitle problem as well. My MBP has been playing my DVDs and adding subtitles when I don't want them. The menu doesn't register that the subtitles are turned on, and I can't get them to turn off. Annoying...

3. Mr. Chupon macrumors newbie

Subtitles Drop Off

I was just watching a subtitled DVD with the Apple DVD Player (Ver. 5.03) and this exact problem occurred over and over. It actually made it impossible to keep watching. I found this post after a Google search. Have you guys figured out what's going on? Is it just a buggy issue with this particular version?

It's very irritating.

4. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

I cannot replicate it. I use the same version and am fully up to date on system updates as well. I have never had this problem (I would immediately notice as I exclusively watch foreign films!). Even though I'm pretty rough on them - stopping and starting, opening and closing the app and resuming, and leaving them paused for days sometimes partway - I have never lost a single line.

VLC however seems to drop them whenever I change the deinterlacing settings or pause.

I'm running on PPC though, not a Macbook.

5. crackermac macrumors member

6. dm10003 macrumors newbie

Me Also. Dvd Prefs Or System Prefs Can't Turn Subtitles Off

As a temporary workaround I removed gray halo, reduced type size to 9 pt, and colored it black to minimize the subtitles. I also changed the language to French.

But this shouldn't be an answer to the fact that I JUST CAN'T TURN OFF DVD SUBTITLES!
    :confused::mad::(

7. tvail macrumors newbie

Me too. Exact same...

I watch foreign films a lot. The subtitles work intermittently and if I rewind they usually work, so I am trying to watch the 3 disc 262 minute Battle of Chile set and rewinding nearly scene for the dialogue!
    Has anyone figured this out?
    I've got an older Mac Book Pro running OSX 10.6.4. Playing the dvd in the computer drive using dvd player.