Subtitle support on ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sphinx99, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sphinx99 macrumors member

Can the iPad's video player display subtitles in any way?

I suppose a more generic question would be, does the MP4 format support subtitles?

I am trying to create a mp4 version of a subtitled episode from a blu-ray, using xmedia recode, using direct copy of video, with the goal of having a high quality version on my media server to play in the home theater, while also being able to sync two or three episodes to my iPad for airplane trips. I think I've gotten the hang of xmedia recode to do "lossless" conersion of the container to mp4, but I cannot figure out how to retain subtitles. xmedia recode seems to remove them only.

Perhaps MP4 doesn't support subtitles?

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

MP4 does indeed support subtitles, I encode all my video using Handbrake which has settings for subs. If subs aren't included on the DVD or BR I download them from subscene and load those into handbrake. It's a snap and the subs appear on all iOS devices, iPad, iPhone and AppleTV as well as in QuickTime and VLC.

3. sphinx99 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, OK. I might have run into a bug in the current version of XMedia Recode then, because it does not seem to be able to preserve subtitles in my existing MKV during a conversion to MP4. I guess I'll have to try another program.