Subtitles stopped working on ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shorn, Feb 1, 2014.

1. shorn macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I have just tried to start watching a series (Borgen) that has subtitles and they are not showing on ATV.

These are m4v files that I converted myself, and have two audio tracks (AAC 2.0 and AC3 5.1) and the English subtitle track.

When I watched the first few episodes several months back the subtitles were fine, but now they are not available.

If I bring up the menu on ATV it says "Subtitles aren't available for this content" - however when I dropped the file in Subler it has the subtitle track, and when I view it in VLC player on the mac they display fine.

Something has obviously changed in either iTunes or AppleTV - just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

2. shorn thread starter macrumors regular

OK, well seem to have found what was causing the issue.

I had set the subtitles within the file as 'forced' using Subler. It obviously didn't like this, as when removed the 'forced' option and re-saved it is now displaying them OK.

I'm assuming the either iTunes or ATV do not like the way it was being saved as a forced track?

Anyone with experience of this?

3. slothrob macrumors 6502

I believe the problem is that you told it to save only forced subtitles and there weren't any forced subtitles, so nothing was saved.