Subtitles won't play

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maz21, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Maz21 macrumors newbie

This seems retarded but I can't figure it out so I'm asking.

Usually my subtitles work just fine but I'm trying to watch a Spanish film and the subtitles won't work. I'm just using my apple DVD player and when i click the subtitles button, nothing happens, it just says "subtitles off." I can get it on to a place where it says "unspecified 1" when I'm in the main menu, but when it plays it just reverts back to off. I've made sure the setting is "english" on my disk setup. When I've gone to the closed captioning window it says it's not available. Does this mean there aren't subtitles for this movie?

So, I downloaded VLC and I'm trying to get the subtitles to work on that player, but still w/o success. The movie plays fine, but I just can't figure out the subtitles. I've read some forums on renaming the subtitles files from .avi to .srt. but I'm not supper techie and I don't know where to find these files. And I'm not really sure if that's necessary. What to do? Any IT peeps out there wanna help me?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The avi thing is for videos on the computer as files.

Do you mind if I ask if the DVD is ledgitimate. If so it should help round it down.

3. Maz21 thread starter macrumors newbie

It should be legit. I rented it at a Blockbuster.

Albeit it's a blockbuster in Mexico, and the world code dealy is 4 and not 1 if that makes any difference.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK so the DVD wasn't bought at a Market then :p. It does seem weird that the subtitles aren't working then.

VLC doesn't seem to be too reliable with DVDs unfortunately though you could always try mplayer (but I've found it also has issues.).

5. Maz21 thread starter macrumors newbie