Subtitles

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tech198, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all

I have an avi movie with an external srt (subtitle) file i burned in, and converted to mp4 via Handbrake.

Clicking the "Default" check-box, doesn't seem to have any effect.

In any case, when playing this mp4 movie in VLC, subtitles do not display, but do appear in the "Subtitle" menu.

However, this is fine, the problem is the subtitles are not carried over when burning a DVD from this mp4. As it looks like the subtitles are not on by default, there i think they are lost when burning.

How can i fix this ? Presumably, they must be part of the mp4, by default, yes ? and not as an available subtitle to select ?

2. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Fixed

Seems to be ok now. but i wanna confirm something.

In Handbrake, after making subtitles the "Default" and output format to .mkv and not .mp4, since i found mp4 can't handle subtitles directly, does anyone know why this is not possible ?

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure it's not a generic problem. I've added a lot of subs to MP4 files even in Handbrake.

Now that you do have a ready-made MP4 (without a working sbtrack, of course), you definitely should give Subler or MP4Tools a try. Both can directly add SRT files to MP4 ones. They surely will work.

I've published several tutorials on both apps, mostly in the Apple TV and the iPad Apps forums here.

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

ok thanks, i'll give em a short.

It looks like these tools add new subtitle "tracks" which handbrake does already.

However, i have a new problem as well... When converted to DVD format to play in a set top dvd player, subtitles are lost, and even though they appear in the output format from handbrake, they are lost when making a dvd.

Thus, only have one track.

5. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Sorry for the thread-hijack, but small question: can those two programs you mention add soft subtitles in a way the iPod Classic can turn them on or off natively? I mean working soft subtitles, that woudn't require the .SRT to be baked into the movie file, because that always takes ages here. :)

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

If the iPod Classic plays MP4 (mov / m4v) files similar to iOS (incl. the iPod touch), then, yes.

I'm not sure - haven't tested the iPod Classic in this regard. Nevertheless, you can easily give it a try. I've quickly created two SD videos (not HD so that it's surely played back by even an iPod Classic) with the two apps with all default (passthru) params. They're as follows (feel free to download them and try on your Classic):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/082013/Kotikatsomo-rf30-SRTsubbed-mp4tools.m4v

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/082013/Kotikatsomo-rf30-SRTsubbed-Subler.mp4

The subs in both are properly played back in the desktop VLC, iTunes (Mac) and iPod touch running 6.1.4.

7. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Problem solved.

Using Toast and Perian works for subtitles.

Sometimes the basic stuff is the best :). I completely forgot about perian can load subtitles externally.