Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleoba14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
2 days old and making this subtle noise when just opening the lid

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If it's two days old then Apple would be a far better place to start then MacRumors. Give them a call, it's probably a magnet or something but if it bothers you they'll replace it free of charge.

aleoba14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
If it's two days old then Apple would be a far better place to start then MacRumors. Give them a call, it's probably a magnet or something but if it bothers you they'll replace it free of charge.
My father bought it for me like a month ago in the UK (I live in Spain) and gave it to me 2 days ago, so I think I can't replace it. I thought may be is the 'mechanism' that makes the lid close when about 1 cm from being closed. The noise I think comes from the hinge, just want to know if can be something that can be more of a problem in the future

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Still call up Apple or take it to a store, it'll give you peace of mind you won't find here. People will just speculate as we can't actually see it.

For what it's worth, and from what you've described, I'd say it's possibly the magnet in the display (Which is used to tell the computer it's closed, and so go to sleep). If you take it to Apple, they'll at least be able to diagnose it for you and if need be repair it.

aleoba14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Still call up Apple or take it to a store, it'll give you peace of mind you won't find here. People will just speculate as we can't actually see it.

For what it's worth, and from what you've described, I'd say it's possibly the magnet in the display (Which is used to tell the computer it's closed, and so go to sleep). If you take it to Apple, they'll at least be able to diagnose it for you and if need be repair it.
I found on macrumors that a guy had this problem and was gone after some time, I'll maybe wait 2-3 days and see if it's worse or has disappeared. Right now I'm trying and doesn't do it but after moving the closed laptop around a little I open it and it makes it kinda louder, , maybe im just paranoid like with every new product that I buy like the iPhone 7 hahaha

PD: thank you for replying that fast man and for the help!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I found on macrumors that a guy had this problem and was gone after some time, I'll maybe wait 2-3 days and see if it's worse or has disappeared. Right now I'm trying and doesn't do it but after moving the closed laptop around a little I open it and it makes it kinda louder, , maybe im just paranoid like with every new product that I buy like the iPhone 7 hahaha

PD: thank you for replying that fast man and for the help!

It's not going to be anything functionally critical to the machine, at worst it's going to be a nuisance. Take it to Apple when you get a moment to diagnose it, they may be able to fix it in store. Otherwise ask them to log it if it needs to be away for a period of time and then get it sorted at your convenience.

As I said it's probably the magnet, it may have come loose or something. Sadly these things do happen from time to time, thankfully Apple will sort it out for you (Though because it's Apple it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to replace the entire display...). So make them aware of it and go from there.

aleoba14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
It's not going to be anything functionally critical to the machine, at worst it's going to be a nuisance. Take it to Apple when you get a moment to diagnose it, they may be able to fix it in store. Otherwise ask them to log it if it needs to be away for a period of time and then get it sorted at your convenience.

As I said it's probably the magnet, it may have come loose or something. Sadly these things do happen from time to time, thankfully Apple will sort it out for you (Though because it's Apple it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to replace the entire display...). So make them aware of it and go from there.
wow, the entire display just for a hinge problem?
but I'm not able to not have a computer, bc it's my main work station (I'm a photographer) and I need it every day so I hope they fix It the same day or replace (I would feel more happy if they replace it)

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
wow, the entire display just for a hinge problem?
but I'm not able to not have a computer, bc it's my main work station (I'm a photographer) and I need it every day so I hope they fix It the same day or replace (I would feel more happy if they replace it)

It's just the way Apple repairs work, things tend to be a contained unit. Anyway they'll let you know. If it was brought through business they're usually better and can sometimes provide a loan machine, or if it can be done in-store you can ask them to order parts and take it in whenever. As I said, ask them and go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.