Subtle vibration (MBP 13", 2009) normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lumpi, Oct 17, 2009.

1. lumpi macrumors newbie

My brand new MBP 13" vibrates.

It is a subtle kind of vibration, notable only as a ticklish sensation on your palms when resting them on the case, rather than a concrete, strong up and down shaking.

I wouldn't even mind, if my wooden desk didn't pick up the vibration, acting as a soundbox with an audible, deep humming noise. You probably need good ears to hear it, I only do in a quiet room (like, my home desk...). After a short while, the deep humming is joined by a subtle higher-pitched humming. This is when there is absolutely no activity (no programs running, just an empty desktop). I am definitely not talking about the higher fan speeds accompanying increased processor activity and heat.

Now I heard multiple reports of MBPs doing this, but never found an objective conclusion: Is that something MBPs simply do (it's still better than most laptops)? Should I, *sigh*, return the damn thing?

In other words: Is there someone who could confirm that he or she has a 2009 MBP 13" (standard hardware load, cheapest of the unibodies) that has no vibrations whatsoever? Please note that it's subtle and I only noticed it after a while (but now can't stop thinking about it).

Thanks.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Are you running HDD intensive applications? This could be causing the HDD to spin up fast, or even if it's doing that, and causing the fans to rev up it could be causing the problem.

If it's under 14 days. Just send it back to apple for a new one.

3. lumpi thread starter macrumors newbie

There is definitely no HD activity. Literally no programs running.

It only arrived 4 days ago. I might return it. :(

It's just that I fear lurking this forum has made me hyper-sensitive to issues...

So... really nobody else is having this issue? Are you sure that vibration means I got a bad unit?

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I had it, but only when I had a 7200rpm drive in there. It wasn't alot, but it drove me nuts, so I went back to the stock 5400rpm drive.

5. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

My first 15" badboy did this and I know exactly what you mean about the desk acting as a soundbox (wooden desk with wooden floors here) but it had the 7200 HDD although I assumed it was faulty fans. I sent it back and got the 5400. No probs so far.

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

What's a 15" badboy? Do you mean a 15" MacBook Pro, which is what it's actually called?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's stock then there should be no vibration at all - not even fans spinning at 7000+ RPM would cause vibration. The only time I've experienced a vibration was with the Seagate 7200.4 HDD same with a few members of this board. Again, if it's stock, I would go back and exchange it for another 15".

8. Collider macrumors regular

My 15'' (nearly a month old) does this, exactly as you described - not even noticeable at all, except for a weird vibration-ish tickle when you put your palms on it... and mine does it even when it's sleeping. No sound or anything that would be even the least bit annoying, just a slightly odd feeling of subtle vibration on my hands when I go to open it up.

I just assumed that was part of the way it worked, possibly to do with the fact that I leave it plugged in; very curious now to know if it's not.

9. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Mine also slightly vibrates sometimes. I think its faulty fans, I have to take mine to the Apple Store.

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's not normal.. I once had a 15" that did that, I had it swapped out. The current machine is dead still, though the hard drive is a bit noisy...

11. lumpi thread starter macrumors newbie

So be it: I will return it today.

Thanks for the feedback.

Now I officially had to return every single Apple product I have ever owned (not that many, but includes 2 iPods and 3 Laptops). Sometimes I wonder why I stick with that company...

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...why are you returning the other items, are you not happy with those as well?...

13. lumpi thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it happened over a couple of years. First I had that G3 model with the screen flickering and crashing... then my iPod stopped working... the next laptop had overheating problems... now this... random things (the vibration issue is the most subtle problem yet, but for a 1000+ Euro machine, I'm a little picky).

I love their design and functionality so much, but sometimes I wonder if Apple even has a QA department for the final production steps...

14. 7even macrumors 6502a

Eh... it's really the luck of the draw. I've run into quite a few bad Apple and non-Apple products the first time around... and I wouldn't trust anything refurbished because I've had nothing but bad luck with that.

15. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

This guy is a complete moron.
    He thinks if he calls it a "badboy" then everyone will understand.
    What he calls the "badboy" is actually the top end MacBook Pro 15"
    He still doesn't realise it makes people think he's retarded.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If your talking about what I think your talking about the vibration is your imagination. (Really!) Turn your computer off and see if you still get the same "tickling". Its the brushed aluminum surface. I feel it when the computer is off too.

18. lumpi thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, no, I wish it was just that. It's really there.

I just tried to come up with a description that acknowledges how subtle it is. What bothers me the most is the sound of the vibration when putting it on my desk.

19. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Trust me on this. It was.
    Especially for this guy. He deserved it... :D

20. Collider macrumors regular

I'll happily buy this as the explanation for the vibration sensation I get with mine, especially since I find it's actually most noticeable when my MBP is sleeping or powered off. Thanks for the heads-up; it saves me going crazy trying to figure out... well, whether I'm going crazy. ;)