subwoofer problems

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobbypotluck, May 18, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

last night i listened to my subwoofer as always as the same volume and it sounded great. this morning i got in my car and it was very faint sounding. i thought maybe i had messed with the equalizer or sub adjustments on accident but it didn't help. The sub still turns on (it's a sub/amp combo tube) and it still makes vibrations with the music, but they are very faint and impossible hear. I tried turning all the knobs on max and it just sounds really crackly and nasty.

my question is, does this mean i blew the speaker? or could it be the wiring? it's worked for about a year and this is my first problem. I jiggled the wiring a little and the sound cracked in and out. i can't figure what might have happened. any way of testing what the problem could be?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

push the sub speaker down in the middle and see if its smooth going down, you may have warped the voice coil on it.

3. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

after messing around with it, it almost seems like it won't hit low lows anymore, just high lows if that makes an sense. It only can hit the lows that my normal speakers can hit anyways.

is it possible to replace the speaker on a tube/amp combo? its a 12" fusion brand tube sub/amp combo.