Success Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Racer38, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Racer38 macrumors newbie

Just bought a late 2012 i7 came with the standard 1t HHD. Picked up a a 250g Samgung evo drive and installed as a second drive, thanks to the iFixit kit.

Converted into a fusion with out any issues.

Has anyone had any problems with a similar set up ?

If you cant tell I'm a new Mac owner and Lovin it !

2. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Similar but not Identical

Congratulations on your purchase and the upgrade. Did you add memory to your Mac mini at the same time? How long does it take to boot OS X?

This mini has a factory Fusion Drive. If my experience is any guide, your Fusion Drive (FD) will be consistently fast for a long time. With Time Machine running regular backups and the transparent operation of the FD, my Mac just seems quick.

Sorry but I can't report any problems. Although I have solved some minor quirks with permissions since purchasing this mini, the FD has not burped even once. :)

3. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Not had any issues in 2 years with my DIY fusion drive. I'd suggest reading up on the pros and cons of enabling TRIM on your SSD. Personally I think it should be enabled for DIY fusion drives.

4. Racer38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to hear the good responses. Yes I changed out the Ram to 16 gig.

Didnt know anything about Trim prior to setting up the system, is it hard to enable now that its all set up or would it require a complete reinstall?

Thanks

Craig

5. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

It can be enabled or disabled via "trim enabler" a 3rd party utility. It's non destructive on your fusion drive so you'll not have to start again.

There's a few threads in here already on whether it's needed or not. I would start with some knowledge of The trim command itself before jumping into the threads. There's a lot of people on both sides of the discussion :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

6. Racer38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info on Trim. I enabled it using the utility program with out an issue. Your right about the controversy surrounding its use. I figured I would try it both ways and if it doesnt cause any issues I'll just leave it enabled.

Really enjoying the Mac mini, the speed and ease of use is amazing compared to my custom PC. Now its time to start doing some video editing. I have a lot of old VHS stuff that was copied over to a Mini DV camera years ago, now I need to bring it all onto the computer..

Craig

7. cinealta macrumors 6502

Congrats! Welcome to Macintosh!

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

9. Racer38 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. c5bill macrumors newbie

Perfect upgrade for a 2012 i5 refurb

I just upgraded my 2012 2.5GHz i5 refurb with 16GB of memory and a 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro and created a 750GB fusion drive with that guide. Simple process and pretty impressive results after a fresh install of Yosemite:

Attached Files: