Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliverlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
United Kingdom
I had some problems installing Monterey using OCLP 0.6.5. I think the problems were due to me not following the instructions. I should have: created the target disk as macOS journaled extended. I think I originally created the boot disk disk as APFS (?).

Also, I think the RX580 video card was not properly seated in the PCIe slot.

So now the MacPro machine seems to boot reliably into Monterey.

I have a USB 3.1 card installed in a PCIe slot and that is supporting external HDD and SSD in caddies.

Wifi and bluetooth work. Three monitors (60Hz) one landscape , two portrait, display reliably.

I still need to run Quicken 2004 under Windows 10. I have a laptop that does that. I cloned the Windows laptop OS and applications using DiskGenius creating a .vdi file - suitable for VirtualBox 6. I then opened the vdi file in VirtualBox and so far it successfully loads Windows 10 and runs Quicken.

Note:

I cannot run VirtualBox 7 or current VMWare as they rely on virtualisation instructions not supported on the Xeon chip in my MAcPro.

I tried to install Quicken 2004 on a "clean" install of Windows 10 in a VM in the MacPro - but the activation did not work as the Quicken Win10 application said it could not contact the Intuit servers - they were probably switched off years ago.

FritzImages

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023

Hi cliverlong,​

I am going thru a very similar process. Mac 5,1 Mojave to Monterey12.6.7 via OCLP 0.6.7 with flashed rx 590
Did you keep the flashed rx580 in during your installation via OCLP or use a mac compatible card? Did you see Mac bootloader screens w/rx580? Also, where is the final Boot drive located? What protocol's did you use for your boot drive format? Do you have any tips or special settings that you used ? thanks

cliverlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
United Kingdom
I am not sure exactly what I did but ....

I think I ran the OCLP post installation routines

and I think

This installed the "Modified EFI" (????) on my Monterey boot disk.

So I see a bootloader screen every time I power on the CMP 5,1 machine - which is exactly what I want.

I wish I could tell you exactly what I did - maybe the following Youtube video is relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.