Success Stories?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigD58, Dec 2, 2008.

1. BigD58 macrumors regular

After reading this article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/29/nvidia-heat-causing-macbooks

And hearing the numerous complaints about dents,scratches,broken fans, overheating, crooked keys, etc. Is there anyone out there that has a perfect late 2008 unibody MBP? I know computers aren't always "perfect" but im just want to make sure before I purchase one as a christmas present to myself:D. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. lscangus macrumors 6502

I was going to think Apple will pull this off, i am returning my 2nd replacement for a refund.. you can read my story in one of the thread.

3. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I've had no problems with mine. I play games in Windows, which blasts the CPU and GPU. None of that heat has destroyed my MBP yet. I suppose my function keys are slanted like many others' here, but I never would have noticed if I didn't peruse these forums.

I love this thing.

4. BigD58 thread starter macrumors regular

Hm. So there might be hope after-all...:eek:

5. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

I have absolutely no problems with my unibody MBP (2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM).
    And one of the things I love most about it, is its ability to stay way cooler than my "old" non-unibody 2.4 GHz MBP. Especially when using the 9400M (which I prefer).

Another benefit is that it's incredibly silent. Fan noise? Never heard of it!

I love this machine. Best Mac laptop ever.

6. BigD58 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally positive comments about the new MBP's!

7. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well everything was reasonably perfect on my first macbook pro. I had a weird mishap with the firewire port (user error) and afterwards my superdrive refused to read certain discs. I never got a chance to test the superdrive before the mishap so I have no idea if the problem was related to the firewire mishap or not. Anyways I got a replacement and everything seems fine. Since I briefly had both macbook pro's I tested them side by side and the replacement reads the discs just fine (although it does take several seconds to load) while the one to be returned would spit them out.

There are things you could nit pick about though. My first one had an ever so slight scratch on a corner. It was incredibly small and you'd have to put your face up close to see it. Also, the light indicator for sleeping seems to have had some dust there. My replacement has a slightly loose battery cover. I can move it back and forth with my hand but you have to put some force on it to move it. It won't wiggle around from just carrying the laptop.

Both screens 9c84's look very nice and identical and no dead pixels. I think my f row keys may be slightly slanted but its hard to say. Maybe if I brought out a some capillaries or whatever those pincer measuring tools are called, I would know for certain.

When you read some of these threads you can get paranoid, but I think a lot of the people who are making complaints are OCD. No offense to them, I have some OCD myself. If I had a poor screen or dead pixels I think it would bother me quite a bit. Some people do in fact have genuine problems but what product out there really comes out perfect? I think that as long as you have reasonable expectations that you'll be very happy. I use to frequent these boards a lot, but since I bought my laptop I haven't logged on nearly as much. If I had problems I probably would log on more for help.

In a way, Apple does it to themselves because their designs are so slick and it is a premium product so they set high expectations. I think that if you go in with expectations that you will receive an incredible product with maybe a minor imperfection, you'll be very happy.

8. voltare macrumors member

I love the new MBP. Mine has no issues I can spot. No dead pixels. No slanted keys. No loose battery covers. No scratches, dents or dings. It's quiet and not hot.

And I bought on ebay for $575 off retail!!!

9. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Mine seems to be just fine so far. I got it yesterday. I looked over it a bit, but haven't been terribly anal about it.

I've not noticed any scratches or such, and if my F keys are slanted it isn't enough to tell at casual glance.

I love the glass, both on the screen and the trackpad. I've wanted a glass covered LCD in a laptop since I worked with some desktop LCD panels by Xerox that had glass a few years back. Makes me much less paranoid about dealing with fingerprints and such.

10. tslewis macrumors member

I had the same problem with the CD/DVD reader. Hopefully getting a replacement.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

Take the Inq's nvidia stories with a grain of salt. That site has been biased against nvidia more often than not...

I love my MBP btw :D

12. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Love my new MBP no problems just like my 2.2 SR MBP. The CD drive is so quiet its unbelievable! I haven't tested games yet but everything is working fine... none of the issues I have heard of on this machine.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No problems whatsoever with mine. Perfection.

Statistically, there's bound to be problems with a small percentage of any batch of electronics. Especially with first versions of products. I've had old Mac hands tell me the first Mac commandment was "Thou shalt not buy a revision A." The people on the boards tend to go online when there's a problem. If there isn't one, they're busy using their Macs.

Let's face it, we're also picky. IMO, a Mac is a premium product. People who buy premium products tend to pay premium prices and expect, well, premium products. If you're buying an item from Williams Sonoma, Benz, or BMW, you expect better products and service than when buying a Pontiac.

I had screen issues with the new macbooks, but not with my MBP, and none whatsoever with Apple customer service.

Now, if my applestore could only get a nice hard case and keyboard cover in for my new machine so it continues to stay that way, that would be excellent.

14. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Mine's great just like his, I've been repping it since I got it... all this negativity, MacRumors is but a small microcosm of the actual Mac userbase...

15. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

No problems at all with my 2.8 MBP. It also runs way cooler than my previous 2.33 Merom 17".

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I love my 2.53 but there was a graphic issue, my replacement is on the way.

I actually didn't want a replacement because otherwise this machine is perfect but the Genius' couldn't fix it so I'll take a new one instead. Hey things happen, even w/ the graphics issue that came up I can't say enough good things about this machine. No regrets here.

17. BigD58 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback guys (gals). I now feel much better about getting my MBP. I think reading this forum too much got me a little paranoid:D

-DK-

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I am very happy with my unibody MBP. I should be, it was a replacement for an old PB G4 that had a number of issues. The only thing that I could nitpik is a very small mark on the right side near the hole for the lock and an ever so small smudge just above the power button. I am a photographer and I found that the glossy display took a little while to get used to but other than that I am a happy camper. Others have had issues with Apples QC or CS and I know how they feel. In our world, we want instant gratification and it's frustrating when the process takes a little while but Apple does seem to make it right eventually.

19. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Are you serious? If every MBP was faulty then wouldn't Apple recall their product? I'm sure that the people that don't have any problems with their machines voice their opinions on forums, since they'd be too busy playing with their new laptops.

20. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Absolutely no problems here. I am loving it and have convinced several of my friends to buy new MBs and MBPs based on playing with mine. They are also very happy with their purchases too.

21. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

As I have posted on here before, currently waiting for my THIRD laptop. First one had a finger smudge and big smear behind the glass, second one has a small unnoticeable red mark behind the glass and dead pixels.

22. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

To the op: There's a big difference in defects and not 100% perfect imo. A smudge here, an unnoticeable thing there...are not defects. Some people go on about defects that you can only see w/ a black light on the screen with a an extreme viewing angle and standing on their heads. One photo of the speaker grill was zoomed in so far you'd need a magnifying glass to see it in person. These aren't defects, they're simply imperfections. No wonder plastic surgeons are so busy, people who return a computer because there's a smudge on the bottom side of the computer inside the battery compartment. How does these people look in a mirror or at another person w/o seeing faults and defects? If you got burned or had scars would you jump off a bridge? Some people here clearly have OCD and the issues lie within themselves not the computers. That said, if there are defects (as in prevent the computer from working properly or it comes scratched somehow) Apple will look after you properly, defects do happen w/ any product.