Successful 16GB RAM Upgrade (non-Apple/OWC/Samsung RAM)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tsugaru, Sep 23, 2011.

1. tsugaru macrumors 6502

I had been having issues with my 2011 i7 iMac since Day 1, due to the iMac being very finicky with the RAM I was using (Corsair.)

Over the past month or so, I've had to try different modules from various vendors to get this machine running stable with 16GB of RAM.

Here's a list of the RAM I went through:

Corsair - kernel panics randomly, Starcraft 2 will always crash, occasional graphics glitches in WoW
    G.Skill - most of the time can not even get the machine to boot, once I reach the login window, it will crash
    Kingston ValueRAM - works 100% for the last 8 hours (running WoW, Vent, EyeTV with full 1.5GB RAM buffer)

Maybe we can continue this thread with posts from peeps who've successfully upgraded their RAM without having to succumb to Apple's pricing, or haven't gone with OWC for their Samsung RAM (I would have done it, but shipping to Canada was a bit high.)

2. Dr. Bombay macrumors member

I picked 16GB of RAM from OWC - the shipping was only $5.03 to Victoria.

Why would not go for RAM that has been guaranteed to work? Esp. if shipping was five bucks? It would have saved you a month of trouble...

3. Texran macrumors regular

I installed 16 GB of Corsair without any issues, ran memtest immediately after install, no errors were reported.

4. Fuith macrumors member

I installed 8GB extra from Crucial, works like a dream.

5. alienatf macrumors member

6. Kasalic macrumors regular

Just upgraded two 2011 27" iMacs at work with 8gb kits from Crucial. Both now run like a dream with Mac OS and a Windows 7 Virtual Machine.

7. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Purchasing my iMac in October already have the 16GB RAM upgrade in my possession. Purchased from NewEgg for $111.26 Which is:

(2) Kingston 8GB - 10600 CL9 204-Pin SODIMM Kit (2 Pcs 4GB)

I Hope it works!!

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got my 16GB from OWC for my 2010 iMac. It works great for me.

9. Liffey macrumors regular

I ordered 8gb Corsair to add to my current default 4gb. My first time adding RAM to any computer (27" i5 is my first ever computer, off to a good start :) ). Mainly need it because I often have several painting and 3d rendering programs open at once. Hoping for the best.

10. MacinDoc, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I ordered 16GB of Crucial RAM from tigerdirect.ca for less than $100 shipped to Calgary. Nice thing is that there should be no customs, broker fees or border delays, dealing with a Canadian store front. I'll let you know how it works when I install it in the new iMac that's coming next week.

I have had success with them in the past, including a 16GB upgrade for my current iMac (GSkill) and 8GB upgrades for two 13" MBPs (PNY).

11. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I had 0 problems using patriot ram, i was hesitant at first but it was way cheaper back then and it's still a bit cheaper than corsair or kingston

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have 4x4GB Crucial in my 2011 i7 and it's been perfect so far.

13. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

16gb from g.skills been good for me since may. that's weird your machine won't even start up.

14. StephenAcworth macrumors member

OWC Samsung

I got the Samsung 8gb from OWC: low price of the kit offset any shipping charges to Canada. Installed and works like a dream. Now waiting for my new 750gb hard-drive to install in my MBP.

15. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

I just installed 8GB from Corsair in my new iMac 27" with no issues.

16. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I purchased my 16GB set from Crucial.com, and have had no issues.

Just make sure your getting the 204-pin set using 1333Mhz and not the 200-pin that uses 1066Mhz, as it was made for the previous generation iMac.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

These days with ram being a commodity item there's no reason to buy expensive brands. The ones that don't work, are simply defective which happens to any Mfg. They all come with warranties so buy price not the name. You'll save money & still get good performance. Besides a month after you install it, that's the last thing you'll be thinking about. So don't get sucked into OWC or other pricey brands.

18. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

i always go with either kingston or OWC. G.Skill and etc don't really impress me and read too many faults.

19. tsugaru thread starter macrumors 6502

Shipping was quite a bit more when I got my quote. Twas like $40 at the time.

Plus, when 4GB SO-DIMMs are $20-$25 locally, spending $40-$50 plus shipping per SO-DIMM is quite a bit more.

The G.Skill and Corsair RAM were odd. They'd work sometimes, and then just KP.

I've been running this Kingston ValueRAM in here for the last 4 days. No crashes or kernel panics.

20. Jeordeon macrumors newbie

I installed 8 GB of Crucial Memory, super easy to find and works flawlessly. ;)

21. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've upgraded about a dozen systems of various types (Mac and PC, laptop and desktop, PowerPC and Intel) and have bought nothing other than Crucial or OWC. I've never had a memory failure. I may have paid a little more but it has been worth it to be trouble free.

22. LeeKnight1981 macrumors newbie

iMac i7 2011 upgrade

Ok so I get it out the box and Admired its B e a u ty and connected it all up and got it up and running! It really is an amazing Machine out the box but I just felt the Desire too take it further Unsure Why #

So after ordering some SSD's and R.A.M from Crucial and spending an hour taking it apart " Not A Job For The Faint Hearted "

My 2011 i7 3.4Ghz now has
    32GB DDR3 1333 x 4 8GB
    2 x 512GB Crucial M4 SSD

And it's just All Kinds Off Silly, People are asking me Why!?

Just Beacuse i Say!

But in the past 6+ years of upgrading Macs for Customers I have never had any issues with Crucial!

Don't pay for delivery with them either there 3-4 day free delivery Well I order on Monday it's here Tuesday

And there Customer Service etc is also Excellent

23. moonbeep macrumors member

moonbeep

I too installed an extra 8gb of Crucial and mines running fine!!..

24. tardegrade macrumors member

tardegrade

I installed 2 x 4Gb Ram from Crucial to take my 21.5 mid 2011 iMac up to 12Gb. Works like a charm. No issues at all. :)

25. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Seeing the new posts about Crucial RAM (purchased from Crucial), I posted earlier about buying Crucial RAM. I just bought 8GB of Crucial RAM through amazon.com (to combine with some other purchases) and they came in very irritating plastic blister packs that not only required shears to open but the RAM sticks were locked into place in the plastic. I was worried about getting them out without destroying the parts. Luckily all went OK. Are direct purchases now packaged this way, or are they still in the easy-opening cardboard boxes?