Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Canada
I have a 2009 cMP 4.1 --> 5.1 computer. I followed the information here and started with Macschrauber's Rom Dump. Then did the EnableGOP ROM mod to get the Native Bootpicker on my RX 460 graphics card. Finally, used the latest OCLP to make a Monterey USB and install it onto a new sata SSD.

I just had a few newbie questions for the kind folks here, if you wouldn't mind:

1. Do I need to re-enable SIP or just stay with ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS., FS, UNAUTH...ROOT?
  2. Can I assume that Firmware protection is installed to stop unwanted Windows certificates from corrupting my boot ROM?
  3. Why does macOS Sonoma show up in Software update and how can I get rid of it?
The reason I ask about #2 is that I have a PCIe NVMe drive with Windows 11 on it that I pulled from my Dell Optiplex (Bitlocker off) and I'm thinking about trying it in this cMP.

Thanks, Olias

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I have a 2009 cMP 4.1 --> 5.1 computer. I followed the information here and started with Macschrauber's Rom Dump. Then did the EnableGOP ROM mod to get the Native Bootpicker on my RX 460 graphics card. Finally, used the latest OCLP to make a Monterey USB and install it onto a new sata SSD.

I just had a few newbie questions for the kind folks here, if you wouldn't mind:

1. Do I need to re-enable SIP or just stay with ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS., FS, UNAUTH...ROOT?
  2. Can I assume that Firmware protection is installed to stop unwanted Windows certificates from corrupting my boot ROM?
  3. Why does macOS Sonoma show up in Software update and how can I get rid of it?
The reason I ask about #2 is that I have a PCIe NVMe drive with Windows 11 on it that I pulled from my Dell Optiplex (Bitlocker off) and I'm thinking about trying it in this cMP.

Thanks, Olias

1. OpenCore will override that. Just makes sense if you want to boot older, supported OS since El Capitan.

2. OpenCore will protect that, but by mistake you could boot directly to Uefi Windows. You can modify the Windows ESP and pull the loader *.But after Win Updates it could be re-appear. Keep the firmware backup well and check from time to time the firmware status with the Dumper.

3. cant get rid of it, pure cosmetic.

* see:

Installation: Removing the Windows option from the stock bootpicker​

Last edited:
Reactions: Olias

Olias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Canada
1. OpenCore will override that. Just makes sense if you want to boot older, supported OS since El Capitan.

2. OpenCore will protect that, but by mistake you could boot directly to Uefi Windows. You can modify the Windows ESP and pull the loader *.But after Win Updates it could be re-appear. Keep the firmware backup well and check from time to time the firmware status with the Dumper.

3. cant get rid of it, pure cosmetic.

* see:

Installation: Removing the Windows option from the stock bootpicker​

Thanks for the feedback and pointing me in the right direction. I'll report back once I've had a chance to try installing windows.

Olias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Canada
Well that was pretty straightforward. I created a Windows USB installer using Rufus. I installed Windows on a clean NVMe drive by itself. Went through the OC boot picker and babysat the process to make sure it didn’t try to skip the OC boot loader.

Windows figured out all the hardware drivers except for BT which I installed manually. However, there seems to be no sound even though the driver is there. I then noticed an optional AMD sound driver in Windows update but that’s probably just for the HDMI on the RX 460.

I have 2 new questions… of course. lol 😆

1. How can I make my NVMe drive on a PCIe card show up as internal?
  2. Is there a trick to getting sound out of the standard analog output?
Thanks again for your help. I still need to check my boot ROM and will do that next.

Olias

Olias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Canada
... of course I have 2 new questions.

1. How can I make my NVMe drive on a PCIe card show up as internal?
  2. Is there a trick to getting sound out of the standard analog output?
I just thought I would get back to these questions in case anyone was interested.
  1. Needed to add a key in Device Properties of my config.plist
  2. Needed to find the right driver. BTW, this was in Windows.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Its absolutely mind boggling how well Monterey runs on a MacPro 5.1.
I run Monterey for a full year now, without any hiccups, just a very smooth running system.
You will be absolutely happy with it. Catalina was already great on that machine and I was fearful in the beginning that Monterey may be slow or buggy. It is actually the contrary and might be the very best system that ever run on it. Never thought the MP5.1 would keep up that long and buying that much time to wait for lower prices on the 2019. Question remains if a 2019 purchase makes any sense, except maybe a serious Windows bootcamp user like I am.
For me it was always the Dual Use case that was most important for me because of a very limited CAD support on the Macintosh side. However, Fusion 360 changed all that because of excellent support on Mac now. I am still reluctant to move away from the MP5.1 since it had such a phenomenal good use cases for my requirements.
As a little recommendation, I really do recommend the USB 2.0 mini board upgrade. Monterey really runs like a champ with the correct hardware.

Reactions: Olias and krakman

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Its absolutely mind boggling how well Monterey runs on a MacPro 5.1.
I run Monterey for a full year now, without any hiccups, just a very smooth running system.
You will be absolutely happy with it. Catalina was already great on that machine and I was fearful in the beginning that Monterey may be slow or buggy. It is actually the contrary and might be the very best system that ever run on it. Never thought the MP5.1 would keep up that long and buying that much time to wait for lower prices on the 2019. Question remains if a 2019 purchase makes any sense, except maybe a serious Windows bootcamp user like I am.
For me it was always the Dual Use case that was most important for me because of a very limited CAD support on the Macintosh side. However, Fusion 360 changed all that because of excellent support on Mac now. I am still reluctant to move away from the MP5.1 since it had such a phenomenal good use cases for my requirements.
As a little recommendation, I really do recommend the USB 2.0 mini board upgrade. Monterey really runs like a champ with the correct hardware.
Can you elaborate bit more on the usb mini board upgrade? Have a 5,1 that I'll be moving over to newer os via Open Core and was curious what this is.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Can you elaborate bit more on the usb mini board upgrade? Have a 5,1 that I'll be moving over to newer os via Open Core and was curious what this is.
Apple did some changes to MacOS Monterey and deleted / eliminated USB 1.0 support on its Hardware. This means, if you upgrade to Monterey, all USB 1.0 ports will stop working. You can somehow use a USB 2.0 hub to mitigate this problem. In the earlier versions of Open Core this was not addressed and it was a problem for most users.
The latest OpenCore version have addressed the USB1.0 problem and to my knowledge infuses older drivers to keep it working. However, the better way to do it is to replace the original USB 1.0 with a newer USB 2.0 board card.
Its very cheap, and with some basic electrical skills very easy to upgrade.
There are two Forum blogs about the installation of that board, including recommendations where to get the parts.

Reactions: Alex Sanders74

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Apple did some changes to MacOS Monterey and deleted / eliminated USB 1.0 support on its Hardware.

This is is not correct. You can still use USB v1.0 and v1.1 devices even with Apple Silicon and Sonoma. Almost every HID (Human Interface Device, like mice and KBs) is USB v1.0/1.1, everything still works.

What Apple removed was support for ancient Intel dual mode USB controllers (OHCI for v1.0/1.1 and EHCI for v2.0 USB devices) used with 2009 and earlier Macs (since mid-2010 and mid-2012 Mac Pro are essentially an early-2009, these are also affected). More specifically, Apple removed support for the OHCI Intel controllers, but not for EHCI ones.

Since EHCI controllers are still supported to this day, you can install a hub between USB v1.0/1.1 devices and force an EHCI connection.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Kind of confusing to understand exactly what was lost. So far, everything I’ve plugged into my old USB ports are working fine. I guess I need to make sure my scanner & printers are still working. I also have FireWire devices I haven’t yet connected. Do those still work in Monterey?

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
This is is not correct. You can still use USB v1.0 and v1.1 devices even with Apple Silicon and Sonoma. Almost every HID (Human Interface Device, like mice and KBs) is USB v1.0/1.1, everything still works.

What Apple removed was support for ancient Intel dual mode USB controllers (OHCI for v1.0/1.1 and EHCI for v2.0 USB devices) used with 2009 and earlier Macs (since mid-2010 and mid-2012 Mac Pro are essentially an early-2009, these are also affected). More specifically, Apple removed support for the OHCI Intel controllers, but not for EHCI ones.

Since EHCI controllers are still supported to this day, you can install a hub between USB v1.0/1.1 devices and force an EHCI connection.
This is what I am trying to deal with right now on my 3,1. I have a usb1 24 motorized fader controller surface that is usb1 for music and Monterey doesn't like it. I did try the hub which did light up and register it as being there finally, but it is extremely funky and not functional.

Any guidance on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
Just thought I should post that I just found the solution for my problem and possibly other people's usb1 problems. I noticed on the "about this mac" system report it said the macpro had a usb hub in the keyboard so I plugged my 24 moving fader controller surface into the keyboard instead of the usb ports on the machine and voila! It works properly now. (this is after a week of trying different things, it was driving me nuts) Monterey on macpro 3,1

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Just thought I should post that I just found the solution for my problem and possibly other people's usb1 problems. I noticed on the "about this mac" system report it said the macpro had a usb hub in the keyboard so I plugged my 24 moving fader controller surface into the keyboard instead of the usb ports on the machine and voila! It works properly now. (this is after a week of trying different things, it was driving me nuts) Monterey on macpro 3,1
Thanks for the followup, I’m sure it will help others.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Kind of confusing to understand exactly what was lost. So far, everything I’ve plugged into my old USB ports are working fine. I guess I need to make sure my scanner & printers are still working. I also have FireWire devices I haven’t yet connected. Do those still work in Monterey?

Only USB v1.0 and USB v1.1 devices, these connect to the now MIA ancient Intel OHCI controller, won't work anymore without a v2.0/3.0 hub.

Most common USB 1.0/1.1 devices that exist today are HID devices, like mice/kb - see below. MacPro5,1 factory installed BT controller is also a USB 1.1 device.

This is a Microsoft wireless mouse, pay attention to the connection speed Up to 12Mb/s of the USB 1.0/1.1 controller:

Code:
Microsoft Nano Transceiver 1.1:

Product ID:    0x07fd
  Vendor ID:    0x045e  (Microsoft Corporation)
  Version:    3.15
  Speed:    Up to 12 Mb/s
  Manufacturer:    Microsoft
  Location ID:    0x00330000 / 3
  Current Available (mA):    500
  Current Required (mA):    100
  Extra Operating Current (mA):    0

USB 1.0/1.1 devices still work fine when connected to modern USB controllers, even with Apple Silicon Macs, the issue is the removal of support for ancient Intel OHCI controllers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.