Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Just wanted to see who else has updated firmware on their Vertex 3. THIS thread has all the info you need to do it. And as of now it can be done on the 2011 MBP with the Linux system he provides.

I couldn't get it to work with a flash drive so I went with burning the ISO to a DVD. I actually couldn't do it on my 2011 MBP because I have an optibay HDD and I don't believe the disc is bootable off an external optical drive. So I put the Vertex 3 into my 2008 aluminum Macbook and did the update on that. It updated the drive successfully to version 2.08. I was a little confused because I thought 2.09 was the current version, but oh well.

We'll see if this update fixes the very rare hang-on-wakeup issues I've had.

Anyone else?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Hmmmm.....:confused:

I wonder if the fact that I was doing the update on a Mac was the reason it wouldn't update the latest.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I still don't understand why SandForce can't just get their act together and make an updater for OS X. Especially when it seems like there is a disproportionately large amount of Mac users buying their flagship product.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Just wanted to see who else has updated firmware on their Vertex 3. THIS thread has all the info you need to do it. And as of now it can be done on the 2011 MBP with the Linux system he provides.

I couldn't get it to work with a flash drive so I went with burning the ISO to a DVD. I actually couldn't do it on my 2011 MBP because I have an optibay HDD and I don't believe the disc is bootable off an external optical drive. So I put the Vertex 3 into my 2008 aluminum Macbook and did the update on that. It updated the drive successfully to version 2.08. I was a little confused because I thought 2.09 was the current version, but oh well.

We'll see if this update fixes the very rare hang-on-wakeup issues I've had.

Anyone else?

According to this guide Toolbox 2.35 in Boot Camp is the way to do it for MBP 2011.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ing-AHCI-for-Windows-on-MBP-2011-now-possible
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...1-now-possible&p=653516&viewfull=1#post653516

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This is why i returned my Vertex 3 and will check out Intel or Crucial soon. The FW update path is simply not Mac friendly. Period.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
This is why i returned my Vertex 3 and will check out Intel or Crucial soon. The FW update path is simply not Mac friendly. Period.

That's the truth. And that's why I originally went with Intel. But after two failed drives and a ridiculous amount of hours with their very poor customer service, I had had enough and went with OCZ. This was about a month or so ago when Crucial had Macs on the list of systems that weren't compatible with their SSDs.

The Linux boot method for updating that I used actually wasn't bad. Other than the fact that it updated me to a yet-obsolete firmware! lol

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm guessing the Linux path has matured now but back when i was trying to use it a few months ago there simply was no recourse for 2011 MBPs and you had to use a PC which i didn't have.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I'm guessing the Linux path has matured now but back when i was trying to use it a few months ago there simply was no recourse for 2011 MBPs and you had to use a PC which i didn't have.

Yep, the guys says it has something to do with particular graphics chips used in the 2011 MBPs, and so is not technically a Mac-only issue. He says it's resolved now by doing a very simple work-around. I couldn't verify this though, since I installed the SSD into my old Macbook to do the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.