Successful MacBook Late 2008 Unibody Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mdv2, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mdv2 macrumors regular

I've had my Macbook 5.1 for 4 years now. I bought it in October 2008, immediately after release and I've been very happy with it.

I took the cheapest variant as its the fairest deal in my opinion. After some time, I upgraded the ram from 2 x 1GB to 2 x 2GB and eventually 2 x 4GB.

Moreover, the HDD was upgraded with a 320GB 7200RPM hard drive and yesterday, a 256GB Samsung hard drive was installed (the 320GB HDD is now in an optical bay).

It runs really smooth now. Boots in approx. 30 seconds and works flawlessly. Although the SATA interface only handles 3gb/s while the SSD does upto 6gb/s, I bought it for future purposes should I eventually buy a new Macbook.

The processor is no problem unless you intend to to heavy-duty activities, which I don't really do often. The only major drawback is battery life. I have already replaced the battery some six months ago but it just doesn't do more than 3-4 hours whereas the newer models do significantly better.

I bought this machine with student discount and its serving me well. I'm about to graduate and eventually I'll replace it, but for now its perfect - after four years. That's hard to achieve with a laptop and that's also much related to the build quality of Apple machines.

Just wanted to share this for those considering to buy a new machine. Look into upgrading your old machine, it can be definitely worth it and save you a lot of money.

2. DrivetheGreen66 macrumors newbie

I've done the ram upgrades so far. But haven't decided to upgrade to an SSD. I'm waiting to see a deal on Newegg that I just can't resist.

Are you running ML, Lion or SL on your Macbook?

3. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

4. DrivetheGreen66 macrumors newbie

Have you ran Lion on it?

5. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've done these same upgrades on my 13" mid 2009 MBP(very similar to your MB), and even though the SSD is limited to SATA II it's so very worth the upgrade.

7. DrivetheGreen66 macrumors newbie

ML much better than lion?

8. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's hard to say, cause I was experiencing severe problems with Lion (WiFi stopped working and it would freeze all the time at boot up) and like I said, I didnt use Lion on the SSD, but in general I'm very satisfied with ML. The only con I can think of is the relatively slow shutdown, but I've heard more people experience this and could be a ML bug.

9. bfffer macrumors newbie

I just installed mountain lion, and cs6 to my macbook5,1.
    so far mountain lion is better than lion.
    Its not super speed.
    but it sure can postone another purchase for a year or two.
    :)

Here is the spec now:
    - 2.4gb core 2 duo
    - 8 gb ram
    - 120gb ssd kingston

10. joeyboyyy91 macrumors member

I have the same Macbook, 2.0Ghz, 8GB, 64GB SSD & 750GB HD Optibay.

Its a very capable machine still after nearly 3 & 1/2 years of ownership.

I'm hoping it will last until I graduate at which point I'm going to look into a 11" air; and the Macbook will be retired to menial duties plugged into my TV.