Successful upgrades to 10.7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BigDukeSix, Mar 19, 2012.

1. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I am still running SL. I am finally getting the itch to upgrade to 10.7.
    However, I keep reading here about all the issues that folks have had when upgrading. My question is: how many have upgraded and have had no issues? It worked just like it was supposed to?
    I would love to hear some postive feedback about the upgrade vs all the 'this doesn't work' feedback. Thx!!

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Lion has worked well for me. The few issues I did have were user error and were cleared up with help from this forum and subsequent updates from Apple. I chose to do a clean install of the OS and manually reinstalled my programs to avoid bringing over any corrupt files or programs I no longer used. SL was nice but personally I feel Lion is better with all the new features. Just one user's opinion.

3. cinca macrumors regular

I will add that I upgraded have no issues at all. I think now, especially with the recent point releases, you should be pretty okay. Of course, if you can manage to do a clean update that would probably be best of all -- but I did the App Store download update on my 2006 MacBook filled with crusty old files everywhere and still ran into no problems.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I updated my iMac (see sig) from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 with no issues.

I did clean up (removed) all unused apps and all PPC apps first - deleted my bootcamp partition (never used it - use Parallels when I need Windows), and I did a disk verify and permissions repair first.

Also, I had a bootable 10.6.8 clone disk (and tested it) and a full Time Machine backup, just in case I had to go back.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I did nothing at all. I simply upgraded to Lion from SL. It worked with no issues at all.

6. BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I have often wondered if the people that have had issues are heavy users of their computers with quite a few different app's installed and such. Mine is way underutilized and I do not have too many additional apps installed at all.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went the clean install route as I prefer to do that most of the time.

For me 10.7 has been rock solid.

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I have things like XCode, a couple of X11 apps, MacPorts and under "non-standard" stuff. I'm quite a heavy user, even if I don't use power hungry applications.

9. rosschang macrumors member

I'm headed down the same delima now.

I've a Mac Pro, a iMac(wife's), and a 07' MacMini (XBMC + torrent) all still running SL now.

I would love to hear from you who have upgraded for any of the above mac hardware, particulary about issues/problem faced.

I'm pretty sure most of you who have upgraded would have tons of possitive experience to share, loads I've read over the net also. However what kept me wondering is what's on the flip side?

Appreaciated your help :)