Successfully Using Someone Else's Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrfeiner, Sep 22, 2014.

1. jrfeiner macrumors newbie

Hey all!

Someone on my plan is not going to use their upgrade and I thought I would. This person doesn't have data and everytime I try to set up a store pick up it makes me select a data plan. Do I just cancel it after I select that data plan? Has anyone successfully done this and if so what is the process?

Thank you everyone!

2. jrfeiner thread starter macrumors newbie

3. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

Just cancel the data plan on the other phone after you get the iPhone.

4. supernet33 macrumors regular

They don't allow this anymore.. Once you sign a contract, you have to keep the data..

Well on Verizon wireless

5. jrfeiner thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody know about att? Cause that dampers my plans here

6. james92se macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you can't just get the iPhone then cancel the data plan. Why would they let you do that? Makes no business sense for them. They've never let you have a smart phone with no data plan even dating back to the original iPhone.

7. jrfeiner thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have data on my line but not the one that I'll be taking the upgrade from. I've done this in the past but I'm curious how they do it now.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry for the Verizon users then:)
    AT&T doesn't make you pay for a data plan that you don't want or use if you put back a regular flip phone you can remove the iPhone data on AT&T.

----------

The only carrier that doesn't allow this is Verizon.
    With AT&T and all other US carriers you can remove the iPhone data plan if you're not using an iPhone any longer on that line.

9. jrfeiner thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you done this AppleJuiced? I also see that AT&T allows me to transfer the eligibility online but you have to order from AT&T to do so.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I do it every year and just done it a few days ago.
    There's a few lines on my account that use old flip phones for just calls and text.
    I used one of those a few days ago to get my phone 6 plus on AT&T.
    They just transfer the eligibility and leave that line the way it is with the cell phone and plan that it has now.
    Dont let the verizon users scare you, they're used to getting nickel and dimed and worry about what makes business sense to verizon instead:D
    lol

11. jrfeiner thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet man! I think the only difference is that I am ordering online from apple (Hoping to get an iphone plus in store) and it makes me require a data plan on that line. I think what I'll do is just choose the cheap line and then cancel it once I have the iphone set up in Apple.

Now just need to find me an iPhone 6 plus 64gb.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Att allows you.

13. Daniel L macrumors 6502

You can transfer upgrade eligibility online yourself when you order the iPhone off the AT&T website. Log in to your online account manager and try upgrading your main line to see if it offers you the option to use the other line's upgrade.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you order it from apple then you need to add a temp data plan to that line.
    Then when the phone comes in and you switch the sims just call at&t to remove the iphone data plan not used on that line any more.
    You will need to have the sim in the cheap flip phone and you will need to give them the imei number of that non smartphone to remove the iphone data from that line.
    Good luck bud.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Maybe you should review your plans. SOMEBODY may well be paying too much for their monthly service.

Days of "free upgrades" are over.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I still have an old family plan with free upgrades on every line every 2 years.
    Still cheaper than those share plans available now and with unlimited data on 3 lines.
    So just because people are still on the old style plans without the "next" phone payments it doesn't mean they are paying too much.;)

17. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

SIMPLE Just call AT&T and tell them you want to do a cross upgrade. They will do the rest providing you have permission to make changes on the account.

18. Prissy macrumors 6502

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible they won't let you do this anymore. I tried a few weeks back to a buy a phone on my iPad line, but they won't let me.

I used to buy a phone and then move it to my iPad line (so it's only $10 a month).

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's completely different than using some other lines contract phone upgrade.
    And its still allowed on AT&T.

21. fort macrumors member

If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting to use another number on your plan for the upgrade and then transfer it to your number. VZ DOES allow this. I have an old flip phone on our plan that I can transfer the upgrade to one of our smart phones.

You cannot activate a smart phone without a data plan however, as already stated.

22. htnt7919 macrumors newbie

Please Correct me if I am wrong.

My uncle family plan on 2 years contract have 1 extra line eligible for upgrade but he does not use it , so i will ask him to upgrade it ( i will pay the subsidize fee ) then give the iphone to me . He and I are not on the same plan . Can he still be able to cancel the data plan ? or he will be liable to pay the data fee for 2 years ?