Successor to Apple Cinema HD30"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Osamede, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Osamede macrumors 6502

Am trying to figure out whether to hold on my 30", or if a successor is imminent and the time is ripe to sell.

I like the 30" for what it is and I dont necessarily need more desktop space or pixels...but obviously newer screens do have a bit more contrast these days. Am a bit hesistant to replace this with the 27" Cinema Thunderbolt because I dont want the text to be any smaller. So I would only sell if I know I can replace soon with something matching the 30" size or bigger.

Any ideas on when Apple will come out with a successor to the 30" Cinema HD? Or is 27" as big as they are going to offer from here on out?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple has come out with a successor to the 30" Cinema Display, it is called the 27" Cinema Display, and now they have come out with a successor to the 27" Cinema Display and it is called the 27" Thunderbolt Display.

Any hopes of a new 30" display being released should heave been put away a long time ago.

3. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

Best rumors say that if Apple does another monitor anytime soon, it will be 4K, 5K, or 8K and will be here in 2016. Size unclear, but it might be a 32"

Too many unknowns to know for sure, but at least a year away, best guess.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

As of right now, it looks like Apple has exited the display business.

We -might- see a 4k display from Apple at some time in the future, but it's probably a year away at least -- and I expect if such a display -does- come up for sale, it will be very expensive.

5. Osamede thread starter macrumors 6502

I keep thinking at some point there will be a real TV, there's the "Retina iMac" and Apple is in the LCD production biz with sharp, so something has to come out of that bigger than 27". Question is how soon?

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

People don't upgrade their TVs often enough to make an actual TV a viable business model for Apple. The TV connected appliance is where it is at.

27"

Sharp is in the LCD production business and have a partnership or agreement with Apple. My understanding could be flawed but that does not put Apple in the LCD production business.

I'm not sure how all of that means that something has to come out that is bigger than 27".

7. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

I just noticed you said "wait or sell" in the original post and my advice is if you think you can get something for that monitor, SELL IT NOW !! Once the new one comes out, the value of the old one will drop fast. :apple:

8. Osamede thread starter macrumors 6502

If Apple has put two billion dollars into Sharp I'd say thats a more than casual investment.

But yeah I should probably go ahead and flog this thing now....

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You can flog it over to me, I've been itching for a second 30"