Sucessfully Hacked Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mthanded, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mthanded macrumors member

This was a painless experience. Followed http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide
    . I can add to the calendar now which is great. Ask questions if you want. I will take video soon and upload to youtube. Everything works including syncing with my macbook pro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

The main thing I want to do is rearrange the bottom bar (well, mostly, just remove the iTunes store from there), is anything like this available yet? And another noob question, for the maps, is that just a link to a site or is that where you can store larger image files? Sorry that they are both application questions.

3. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

im a bit new to this, and im looking forward to jailbreaking my ipod touch soon. i will wait until a full guide comes up and a guide written for windows.

my question for you is..i understand the process of jailbreaking your ipod in order to install applications. but how do you actaully go about installing applications? are there just files you can download on internet and then place them into your ipod touch root or folder? is the installing application process difficult? also, to get applications such as notes and maps, do you have to have an iphone or something to get the application from there onto the ipod touch or is there a file to download somewhere? im pretty experienced at psp hacking and what not, but am quite new to this. any answers?

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

5. mthanded thread starter macrumors member

For the applications you just put them in a folder called applications that is in root. If you have installer.app you can get other 3rd party apps and they will install automatically over the internet. Very easy. Also I did everything using sftp because you have that ability once you install ssh on the iphone.

6. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

so after installing the installer.app, a new icon will appear on the ipod touch, and then you touch that, and then you will be able to search for other 3rd party apps? then you just click it and thne it downloads onto your ipod??

also, how do you get the 1st party apps such as notes and maps?

7. mthanded thread starter macrumors member

I do not want to get banned. They exist on the internet in some fashion... I am sure you know where to look. If you have a friend with a hacked iphone they have them too.

8. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

alrightv thanks, i knew they were available, but just didnt know where to get them. now i know where to look, thanks!:)

but was i right about the installer icon and searching for legal 3rd party apps?

9. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

So let me get this straight. I just want to be able to edit to calender. So I would do this Tiff exploit and then I could locate the iphone's calender software (does it have to be a specific version?) When I put the calender in my ipod, does it overwright the old iPod Touch Calander, or will two appear on my list?

You said your ipod syncs fine on your Mac, are you using itunes?

10. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

I can verify that if you follow those steps precisely, yes you will be able to sync via iTunes when it's all said and done. Worked great on my iPod touch tonight.

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Hey so...I got everything working and SFTP'd in...I copied over the MobileNotes app (just for starters)...how do I get the icon to show on the Home screen?

12. Dublo7 macrumors regular

I just used the jailbreak URL on Safari, it crashed safari, but I still can't see the iPod in My Computer. How do I get to terminal.app?

13. jacktiernan macrumors regular

It sounds like you don't really know what you're doing mate.

Restore your iPod, and wait a few days for the GUI.

14. mthanded thread starter macrumors member

Just restart your ipod.

15. jcoakes9 macrumors newbie

Be sure to run chmod -R a+x /Applications/* in your SSH terminal.
    Restart your iPod (or your springboard, but I don't know how to do that)

16. mthanded thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I forgot about that. I was hung on that for a while. If you use apptapp to install 3rd party apps it is very painless. Make sure you install community sources so you can get more apps. The ipod touch is now the best pda device on the market. Amazing!!!

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Once theres a nice GUI for jailbreaking...i will say the same thing. :p

18. oreoremix42 macrumors newbie

What i wanna know is if apple goes even more rotten haha :). I wanna do the jailbreak but if i sync my ipod will it brick my ipod. I dont feel like going thourgh all of it

19. jcoakes9 macrumors newbie

Everyone who has tried and failed has been able to restore successfully using certain key combinations (http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451)

If you feel uncomfortable with the terminal, though, i would wait for an installer.

20. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

So at this page - http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide - can I go straight from installing SSH to copying the iPhone apps over? When I upload (in Transmit) should I leave SSH open in my Terminal?

21. jacktiernan macrumors regular

Nah, it shouldn't. It's not a hardware hack.

There's Always a risk, i guess, but there's ppl on this forum who haven't gotten the hack to work, and have simply restored their ipod.

22. jcoakes9 macrumors newbie

You need to modify your springboard with Trip1PogoStick so that it will see new applications. The instructions will walk you through that. Then you can drop some apps on. (look near the bottom for how to do that)

23. EtienneP macrumors member

Just hacked mine as well. Perfectly happy with the results. Was able to do a full restore too. So those who worry about "bricking" their iPods don't need to worry so much.

24. oreoremix42 macrumors newbie

Well that is good to know it is restorable. Now if i do this and somehing happens vioids the warrenty i bet? If it does is there away around lsing your warrenty

25. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

OHHH, thank you! I thought that was only for 3rd party apps. :)