Such a thing as Dock for USB and MicroUSB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thetruthpp, Jun 18, 2010.

1. thetruthpp macrumors newbie

Crap. I bought a couple WD passports and it didn't even cross my mind that it would have this microusb stuff. So no biggie until now. I have about 10 external hds (most of them 2.5) and Im ripping them all out of their externals and Im just going to be using a dock. So I was checking out the Newertech Voyager S3 for my 2.5s but this won't cut it for these microusb externals. Ive googled microusb docks but dont really see anything. Is there such a dock that offers me a two in one? Or can anyone recommnend a dock for this microjunk? thanks.

btw on a mac, and looking for more of a stand-up style.

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

3. thetruthpp thread starter macrumors newbie

but if im docking my externals on a docking station that uses microusb, this connection type is not the same on say something like the newertech that i mentioned.
    the link you posted - none of those connections would fit this western digital.
    and whats this terminology stuff? come on bro, realllyyy...

correct me if im wrong but this connection u speak of -the microusb - is ON the hard drive, while the usb connection is not.
    sooo......
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. scifiman macrumors member

So by this, what Vylen said should work. If you're ripping them out anyway, then they are just sata on the inside.

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

It took me forever to figure out what you want, and a lot of thinking - or at least I think I have.

I thought you were taking out the HDD's so you just needed a standard SATA dock.

Are you looking for a way to dock multiple WD Passports without taking them out of their enclosure? Like how they have a standard dock like this?

[​IMG]

But instead, you want one that can hold multiple ones?

[EDIT] Posted the above before you edited your post and put those pictures up.

If the the USB controller is actually part of the HDD, then I really don't think there are docks for these sorts of things.

6. thetruthpp thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, i want just one dock that could dock both...if you think they dont have em, i dont either and in that case ---damnnnnn it!!!!
    why do they make these like the microusb with the dang thing on there? i guess theres no way around that.

7. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I didn't even know HDDs with micro USB on them even existed! It could be because WD don't want people to buy their external drives, take the HDDs out and use them internally, then blame WD if things go wrong. If its not from a warranty stand point, it could be because I've occasionally seen their external drives on sale cheaper than their internal ones so it could be to protect sales.

Seems like the only way to do it is to buy several WD hard drive docks that Vylen posted. Maybe it would be possible to mod them. If you had the means, you could make an enclosure to house several of the WD docks connected to a USB hub also housed within the custom enclosure. You'd then end up with a dock for multiple drives!

8. thetruthpp thread starter macrumors newbie

thats probably what i'll do - grab one of those wd docks and i have a seagate dock and i'll just build some kinda custom thing. i'll post pics when i do it.

9. scifiman macrumors member

Well that's interesting (and crappy for you :( ). They've integrated the USB straight onto the hard drive controller. As far as I know, there are no docks that support that. I definitely want to see what you come up with for a custom solution. Good luck.