Such a waste (2014 MacBook Pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CursedDICE, Jul 18, 2015.

1. CursedDICE macrumors newbie

Sorry, bit of a rant, but need to vent (brace yourself, it's long)

So after wanting one of these for year, I finally had the money to get one. Windows 8.1 was the last straw so I picked one up with student discount and 3 years free Apple Care.
    In hindsight #1 was fine, but it seemed bugged to me (at the time I didn't know they were bugs within Mavericks) so I requested Apple take that one back and send out a new one. I took the opportunity to switch model as well. My custom built MacBook Pro was pretty much exactly the same as the high end one, just without a dedicated GPU. So I switched to that and got to keep Final Cut Pro.

#2 developed creaky chassis in the space of 7 days. In normal operation it would just release a nasty sounding crack/creak, mostly around the trackpad. I took it down to get it checked out and was twice denied service (it was an Apple affiliate store and they're allowed to fix them) and told to return it. So I did, because the problem did not resolve

#3 I didn't even boot this one. I unboxed it, inspected, saw the hinge was out of shape. The hinge was put in crooked so it stuck out from the unibody on one side. So I boxed it up and straight back it went

#4 Current one. Started off with the metallic ping noise from the base, but was the best of the lot so I kept hold of it. Then the trackpad started feeling loose in one corner. Like this guy's, but in the opposite corner

When that noise happens you can feel there's give in the trackpad that shouldn't be there, and the entire corner gets like that, but other times it will feel like there's nothing wrong. Talked to Apple support and described, they say it's normal and to go on my way. I ignored it, but the chassis creak is all over the bottom cover. Apply pressure and you'll hear it, or even just move the laptop when in use and you'll hear it go ping. That's not the only thing though, the hinge can creak when I move the screen to close it and on one side, the plastic hinge is separating from the lid assembly. If you put your finger there you can see it and feel it give way, but the other side is solid. Software-wise pretty reliable though, I've had two kernel panics (one unexplained), the Magsafe light ceasing to function, it wouldn't go from orange to green it would just go out (resolved) and the headphones jack mysteriously stopping (resolved).
    The age of this machine? 8 months. Yeah.

Since I've graduated and haven't had lectures for a while (last term was just revision), this laptop barely ever moves and spends a lot of its time idle, so it's not been knocked about and still looks like new. There's literally the two tiniest of cosmetic blemishes which you can't see unless you inspect (caused by scissors and the MacBook's plug), but that's it.

I need this thing to edit videos, but at this point I am pretty much fed up. I don't even want to use it anymore. I feel like I can build a better computer, which I have done. Built my gaming PC about 10 months before MacBook #1 which now runs like a boss (all issues with Windows have been fixed). I've never had to return hardware for it being broken (apart from when I rebuilt recently and the USB 3 cable broke, but that's it) or not built to standard.

What are some alternatives to FCPX for Windows? Was considering getting it looked at/fixed (but they probably won't do anything) and then selling it on to the next unlucky person. Will miss OSX, the trackpad and retina if I did :/

Knew there was a reason I called this machine Gambit when I first set it (and the very first one) up. For some reason this one beach balled on me for half an hour/best part of an hour during setup
    What are the chances this actually gets fixed or I get a working one?

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I cannot believe your misfortune. I'm so sorry.
    Try one more replacement?

3. CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

It managed to be both awesome and terrible at the same time o_O
    If it had cost say £500, I'd just let it slide, but it didn't cost £500

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Instead of overreacting and having entire units replaced, it seems that working with Apple to have your issues resolved on the first unit would have saved you many headaches.

Your current Mac still has warranty. Take it to Apple and have them fix it.

5. CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

I am working with Apple. It's where these units have come from. I bought #1 directly from them, all replacements have come directly from them too

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Instead of working with Apple, you returned and replaced the first unit. Just let their service department fix the defect instead of replacing the entire unit.

7. CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

The first thing I wanted to do was get it fixed, but the store decided they would do nothing and told me send it back. My local is an Apple reseller who are allowed to fix the stuff AFAIK. Wouldn't have returned if there was another option that. I'm taking this one to get looked at at an actual Apple store beginning of next month (right now, they're too far away, but once I move out of my student house I go somewhere where I can get to them more easily)

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Hopefully the Apple Store is able to resolve the issue for you. I've found that 3rd party Authorized repair centers are usually pretty good, but I'm sure there are some that are not.

9. CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

Was 8 months ago, so I think my intention was at the very least get it looked at and have something done, whether that be fix or replace

10. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

i can't believe how easy it was for you to get replacements after replacements from apple, i had to fight like hell to get my non EFI bootup resolved, and they only did it cause i filed against them to the BBB.

11. DDarkSSide macrumors newbie

My 2015 MacBook Pro 15 inch also creeks in the bottom. In my opinion is totally normal because the chassis is all aluminum and the bottom cover also. What happens when you rub two metals together? They creek! So this is completely normal and if it doesn't happen right away is going to happen after sometime, when the screws start to get loose a little bit.

If someone wants a crapy pc that doesn't creek maybe should buy a plastic windows machine.

For me the creeks are completely normal and I feel that the MacBook is pretty solid.

This is not the first time I read someone complaining about the creeks and I always think it's a complete mistake taking it as an issue.

Just my two cents...

12. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

this is the first time i heard someone got their entire unit replaced by creeks.

13. CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

The only reason I questioned it is because looking around, people were saying they should not creak and theirs never does so I went to question it. I wouldn't have done anything about this current one had the trackpad not started feeling loose, because it was otherwise perfectly good. Only the plastic windows machine comment, at least they don't begin to fall apart within one year. My last one went a couple of years and took some heavy knocks before it began to fail and was replaced by the first MacBook. Although, that laptop (the windows one) was error prone which the MacBooks haven't been. In my experience, although they feel very solid, they haven't managed 1 year without the hardware developing a physical fault (operationally they've been fine)

14. DDarkSSide macrumors newbie

My last MacBook was a MacBook Pro 13 inch purchased in 2009. It lasted through my 2 last years of collage degree, moving it around to everywhere and using it every day until last month when I purchased a 15 inch. Right now my Girlfriend is using it and says it still looks new! I just needed a bigger and faster Mac, that's the reason I upgraded. But from the 2009 part, it continues to be rock solid, battery still lasts 5 hours with 800 cycles. I don't fell that my 15 inch is going to be any different. I never saw a MacBook fall apart that wasn't because of bad care.

15. CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT: Better photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does that look badly taken care of to you. Like I said it virtually never moves

16. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

I still have a 2008 MBP that I boot up every now and again. It was the last non glass screen that they made. Great computer. Always creaked and still does.

17. CursedDICE, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBooks are great, don't get me wrong, and on a £500 system I'd dismiss most of these (maybe not the hinge thing, even if it is minor), but on a near £2000 system, this should never happen

EDIT: Then again, no laptop I've owned has fallen apart that quickly and this was the last computer I'd have expected to do that

18. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

Seven years of creaking and it still runs like a Cheetah. That's all I'm saying. Apple can't create new elements.

19. CursedDICE, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

CursedDICE thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine will probably be working just fine in years to come, just the hardware got me second guessing, even if the issues are pretty minor. Most (99%) people wouldn't even find them, apart from the trackpad issue which pops up now and again. Thing was supposed to be sold once I was done with it and then I'd just pay the difference for a new one

EDIT: Maybe I'll just monitor it and see what happens. Call it in under Apple Care if it gets to a point where it is beyond doubt. My support chat is logged anyway

But the hinge thing, now I know about it is concerning :/, but chances are they will do nothing when I go to get it looked at, but there is definite movement in it

I think in general computers just hate me. I can leave them alone for hours, come back and something is not working, or it crashed (Windows) or in the case of Mac, it will work brilliantly but the hardware will be as described above

EDIT: Maybe I am over reacting, but I captured the hinge thing on video

Now I think about it, a bit of movement is fine, because a) that part is plastic and b) one the MacBooks before this one did that in the middle, but it didn't look like it was becoming unglued o_O

Actually might be freaking out over nothing on the hinge thing. Checked the other side, there is some play there too and the same slight gap. So maybe this was no accident, but it was by design. Think I'll just monitor that and go back to enjoying my MBP, because they are genuinely good machines